Have you contacted your Rep? Time is running out!

http://170millionamericans.org/

It appears that the House Continuing Resolution (H.R. 1) will eliminate federal funding for public broadcasting.

The small cost per person - annually $1.35 per citizen - is far outweighed by the benefits we all get from having a strong public broadcasting system to address our local community needs and provide services unmet elsewhere.

Public broadcasting is one of the most successful public/private partnerships in America, with $6 in local support matching every $1 invested by the federal government. Cutting off federal dollars would have a cascade effect that would be catastrophic to the millions of people like me who use public broadcasting every day.

The U.S. House of Representatives is voting on a budget bill TODAY that eliminates funding for public broadcasting. What can you do? Call your U.S. Representative's office now and urge them to stand up for public broadcasting

More than forty years later, Fred Rogers’ compelling words about the power of television to help children grow up, dealing sensibly and humanely with others even when they are feeling angry, still resonate in living rooms, school rooms, and neighborhoods nationwide." - Watch the video at:
http://www.cpb.org/features/mrrogers/

Examples of what's at stake:
Berenstain Bears
Between the Lions
Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That
Curious George
Clifford The Big Red Dog
Dinosaur Train
Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
Sesame Street
Sid The Science Kid
SUPER WHY!
Thomas & Friends
WordGirl
WordWorld
Wild Animal Baby Explorers

*****
Alan Alda in Scientific American Frontiers
American Experience
The Civil War
Destination America
Disconnected: Politics, the Press and the Public
PBS KIDS Democracy Project
Earth On Edge
Evening at Pops
Everyday Edisons
The Forgotten Americans
Forgotten Ellis Island
Frontline/World
Great Projects: The Building of America
History Detectives
How Art Made the World
In Search of Myths & Heroes
Intimate Strangers: Unseen Life on Earth
Independent Lens
Masterpiece
The National Parks: America's Best Idea
NOVA
NOVA science NOW
Novel Reflections on the American Dream
On Stage at the Kennedy Center
PBS NewsHour
Reporting America at War
Slavery and the Making of America
Science Investigators
Strange Days on Planet Earth
This Old House
Treasures of the World
Where We Stand: America's Schools in the 21st Century

And that's just a *small* portion of what can be lost...

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I love PBS.
    Sadly, they need to be cut.
    Along with alot of other things.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:07 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I have contacted by Rep by email. I expect him to vote for cuts though. Which is very sad.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:16 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I love it how people are saying all these kiddy shows will have to be taken off the air. NOT. They are not fully funded by the government. They will just have to add another fundraising telethon. I think a bit more effort on their part to raise money and even some cuts are not more important than doing their part to help dig us out of this hole we are in. This is not the end to PBS or NPR.

itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I have contacted mine and I hope they vote for the cuts. We are out of money and non essentials have to go. Honestly, I think the people given the opportunity will come through for PBS...not sure about NPR though.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• We don't watch TV at all so I honestly don't care about the cuts. I think cuts have to be made in all areas so if it needs to be done so be it.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 10:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• People have been coming through for NPR. As I noted yesterday, my NPR station just had a VERY successful drive. Losing the Corporation for Public Broadcasting funding will affect small NPR stations that get a large percentage of their budget from CPB. Larger stations and NPR itself won't feel it at all.

PBS stations WILL feel it. Television is VERY expensive compared to radio. I look at my TV-side co-workers here and know that many of them will be gone by summer.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:13 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• This nation is broke... Cuts need to be made... Everywhere...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• The bulk of their money already comes from the public, so losing the federal dollars (which also comes from the public) shouldn't present that much of a problem.

No one is going to die even if every tv station shut down (and many would be a lot better off!). It's time to start using the money that is available wisely, and for essential (in other words, people WILL die without them) services instead of fluff.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I'm so disgusted with people this week
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Hope they cut funding completely to this propaganda tool of the progressives. Let the private sector throw their own money at their ideas and be done with it once and for all. Total waste of tax payer money. If the programs are good, they will attract backing.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 12:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2011