Activities for a 3 1/2 year old

Can you give me some suggestions on some things to do with a 3 1/2 year old(he will be 4 in April) at home? We don't have money for gas to go anywhere so things around the house would be grateful. Also right now it is really muddy outside so limited to what activities we can do outside.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• make structures with toothpicks and marshmallows or gum drops. Make homeade playdough together and then use it. Create a sensory bag by putting household items in the bag and have her guess what is inside. An old montessori classic, polish shoes together. Build a tent in the living room and set the table together and have lunch. Play hide and seek by hiding an object and creating a map of the kitchen or living room to find it, Make your own stamps by carving things into half of a potato and stamping stuff with paint or food dye, run around the house and find things of certain colors, that start with the same letter... plant seeds together or sprouts and watch them grow. Save some old clear soda bottles and mix colors with food coloring, add oil or vinegar and test what happens.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• You can always do crafts and artsy things. Yesterday my 3 year old and i made catepillars Out of those soft little balls, googly eyes, popsicle stick and glue. We also painted with washable watercolor paint, and we did a little cutting and stuff with construction paper. :) You could always let him help you bake some cookies or something. Put in his favorite movie. Make a fort out of couch cushions/chairs/pillows/blankets.

Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 10:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My LO and I cleaned the wood cabinets with orange oil. She loved doing it and was so proud of her contribution.
    She folds the towels and washclothes in fours. Then counts them and seperates them by colors for the different bathrooms.
    We plan meals together. We make a chart with what our daily requirements are for protein, vegetables, fruits, dairy, etc. Then we look at what we have and plan the meals to meet these requirements. We do this on a chart so that we can tell if something is missing.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• play doh, make something for easter, play games, make a treasure hunt and hide little things around the house, can check family fun website for good ideas, dolls, bake cookies or cupcakes, sticker books, coloring books,my girls love to play kitchen set, make a tent,
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:04 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I give her a pile of post its with pictures of circles, rectangles, squares and triangles on them. She puts them on items around that house that are like shapes.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Invite kids over for a play date. A box of crayons is cheap. Card games like old maid, war are easy and can teach him numbers. Spend time and cook together. Videos are free from the library. Libraries also have story time.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:27 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• sorry, I meant him. :-) I have a 3 and 1/2 year old son too so I don't know why I goofed.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Our public library has several books full of activities in the childrens department. I check out a different one every time I go.
    Summersmom360

Answer by Summersmom360 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My 3 year old loves to help me do things around the house, fixing food, doing chores, it doesn't matter, he is Mr. Helpful. So I try to let him help me when I can. Sometimes things take longer, but he really enjoys it. He helps me carry dirty clothes to the laundry room, put clothes in the washer or dryer, puts away silverware from the dishwasher. Also, he likes to play games now, so we do that sometimes too. But sometimes he just needs to run around and let out some energy. I used to chase him around the house and we would play 'I'm gonna get you' lol... He loves to be chased and when I would catch him I would just tickle him. But I am pregnant now, so I can't run around very well anymore. So now, sometimes we turn on the radio and dance.
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011