My four year old is so mouthy and wont listen!

He refuses to listen. I sit him in time out and he screams! He even tells me that he hates me. I say no and he tells me off. Ive tried everything. I need help with this ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take away his favorite whatever, toy, video game... I also recommend counseling. If he is this bad at 4 you're in for a hell of a ride by the time he becomes a teen. You are the parent and he needs to learn to respect you.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Stick to your guns mom, let him say and do whatever he wants, show him you mean business, and consistency will pay off.

Answer by older at 10:24 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• ugh.. I feel for you - my son turned 3 in Nov and he's been yelling at me and talking back right now I can see this will be happening soon.. this is what I HOPE to do - stay calm and when he says he hates you - remind him calmly well, I still love you honey - let him scream and yell and stay calm... that's the plan atleast..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Stop. Talk quietly. Listen to him. Explain with the same words over and over in a quiet tone what is expected. Do not respond to his mouthiness. Just keep repeating very quietly and slowly what is expected. Be real careful that he does not drag you into his drama.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Where did he learn to be mouthy? I'm not being mean. I'm trying to make a point. Kids learn through imitation. They see others doing something and think that's the way to do it. If he is seeing it on tv then turn off the tv. If he is seeing it at home, then cut it out. TEACH HIM how to act correctly. Tell him that's not nice or that's not a nice way to speak to you. Show him that the specific act of speaking ugly to you (or anyone) is not nice and hurts your feelings. Don't be a bully. Show him how hurt you are by his actions. If saying no upsets him then say it another way like we can't do that now but maybe later if he wants to go outside now. Just outsmart him by saying no without him hearing that word.
    Anonymous

• Sound just like my almost 4 year old. And yeah he doesn't respect me " Daddy doesn't have to listen to you why do I?" These are his exact words.
    genie744

Answer by genie744 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2011