what do you tell your 20 year old daughter to do when she gets her heart broken?

7-crew

Asked by 7-crew at 1:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• well that is hard, I am 22 and to be honest my mom and I have an awesome relationship but I didnt want to hear any of the too many fish in the sea crap. I just wanted to surround myself with people who cared. She did ask if I wanted to talk about it but when I said no she said ok how about a trip to the mall or to get the hair done. something like that take her to a movie..(not a love one) just being there helped me alot. hope this helps
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 2:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• that there are plenty of fish in the sea and it wil onlly hurt for a while but she will find mr right when its time.
    Anonymous

• I would say that she probably just wants someone to cry with and to be non judgemental. Tell her how strong and amazing she is and how she doesn't need any man to make her feel like a whole person. I would stay away from the whole "lots of fish in the sea" type mentality. That is just conveying the message that she feels horrible now, but as soon as she finds prince charming she will feel complete again. Instead, encourage independence and self fufillment. I think we are fed this kind of thinking since we are little girls and it causes a lot of emotionally dependency in our future relationships, which can be very unhealthy and torturous.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 2:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• GNO!!
    jeric

Answer by jeric at 4:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I would tell her not to jump into another serious relationship to soon. It takes time to get over relationships that don't work.

Answer by louise2 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Move on. Thats what I tell her. She has her whole life ahead of her and should be concentrating on herself and her wants and needs. This guy was just one she got to know, and meet but wasnt the one.
    Anonymous

• I'd tell her how wonderful she is and how much you love her.She has to learn from bad relation ships to figure out when she has a good relationship.I know you want to protect heart.If she wants to talk, listen, and let her learn from her mistakes.I've picked some loosers myself.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 2:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Actually QuentinsMiom has the right idea.. Just being there for her is the best thing to do and don't say there are more guys, better guys, etc .She doesn't need to hear anything like that. Her heart is broke,we know she will be ok, but, she doesn't, so just be there and keep her busy. She probably just needs a Momma's hug right about now.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Heartbreaks are a vital part of life. They teach us much of what we need to know. Let her feel her pain and deal with it. just be there for her. She will let you know what she needs from you.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2008