Anyone heard of or tried the HCG diet?

Sounds dangerous to me, but I'm hearing lots of success stories so was just curious.

AshleyBDG

Asked by AshleyBDG at 10:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• my mom does it and she's very successful with it. the diet is pretty strict but you get use to it : ] the drops are like $75 but they're worth it because they last a long time.
    xLeeAnnex

Answer by xLeeAnnex at 10:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I had a friend who had great amounts of success with it several years ago and then she got very sick while she was on it and refused to think about the fact that your body shouldn't be going through all of this unless you are actually pregnant.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:44 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I know a handful of people who have used it and have been successful with it, ESP if the weight gain was from baby weight. The few that were not successful, it was more bad habits.
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• You'll lose weight no matter what if you eat 500-700 calories a day. With or without the drops. But then when you eat normally again you gain the weight back. It's not good for your body.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:46 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• sounds dangerous though, the calorie restriction is 500-800 calories, that isn't even enough for adequate brain function. I'm glad people have been successful, and I really want to believe it and would try it, but it seems to good to be true.
    AshleyBDG

Comment by AshleyBDG (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• The caloric intake seems low but your body is actually burning 1,000 -3,000 calories of fat. So the diet is not really starving you.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It's INCREDIBLY dangerous. Risks include DEATH. It's not worth it! Plus, any weight loss plan needs to include a lifelong plan if the weight is expected to be kept off. This kind of diet actually slows your metabolism, which means that when you stop the diet, not only do you gain back the original pounds you lost, but you will gain back more!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• all the drops do is suppress your appetite. your losing weight from eating so little. I lost 7 lbs in 5 days, but i had to stop because of my lack of nutrition i was having issues with my jaw, which immediately stopped when i started eating more. Also, i was dizzy a lot. This was just my experience, but other people have had great success.
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 10:58 AM on Feb. 18, 2011