Calling a mean or rude woman a "witch"....

...it's not cute. Have the courage to say "BITCH" or say something else. As a Witch it's really annoying to see people using something that I am proud of and have worked a very long time for as derogatory insult to someone else.

Sorry for the rant. Go ahead and call me a bitch if you want to. But as a Witch- being a bitch has nothing to do with it.

meandrphoto

Asked by meandrphoto at 10:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in About CafeMom

• there are different meanings for the word witch. when used as an insult its not generally referred to someone who practices wicca. its an old english term otherwise meaning hag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WITCH

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:57 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• No matter what someone says, there is always going to be someone offended by it. I think we as a society need to "get over" being offended and look at people's meaning by what they said. It's just another method of dividing us further as a nation.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 11:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Somehow, I'm guessing if the issue were running around calling people Baptists as an insult, you wouldn't be getting quite the same responses.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Being politically correct has gotten out of hand!! How about no one ever talks to ANYONE anymore? Will that solve the problem?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Sorry you feel that way. When I made that comment, Pagans didn't cross my mind.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Simplicity3 - Thank you, I understand. It's just frustrating sometimes.

tnm786- Yes, and the N word doesn't just refer to black people by definition, but it's still extremely offensive.
    meandrphoto

Comment by meandrphoto (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Name calling of any kind is against TOS and grown women with children to lead by example should be beyond that anyway.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• We want to remind everyone involved in this post that community members are expected to contribute constructively to CafeMom Answers. Differing and diverse opinions are welcome, but repeated attacks on a person are not. They pollute the environment, don’t drive the discussion forward and demonstrate a lack of respect.

Please keep this in mind then next time you post. We’ve made a note of this thread for future reference.

-> The CafeMom Admin Team
    CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 8:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Really?!
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I am re-posting my answer from the related question here and also asking anyone with ideas on how to incorporate this for students agre K-6 to PM me as well-

Very interesting and honestly-never thought about "witch" I guess because in society there are so many stereotypes of witches being evil, ugly creatures- in my mind I know the difference but maybe my speech does not reflect that.
    This discussion fits in well with a project I am working on about producing 21st Century Learners-one of the skills is "Cultural Literacy" -it is not just a fancy word for PC-its actually a skill like anything else where we try to instill in children the variety of cultures that make up our world today and how being aware of those and able navigate the world with that in mind is a skill children (and adults) lack- I will add "witch" to my list of cultural misinformation that I am working on as part of this project.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2011