Do you think it is a sin to worry / be anxious / have anxiety?

Why or why not?

Thanks for your input!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think it's a "sin", but I think it's a lack of faith. But we do have to consider other things, such as environmental input that can cause these things.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• No, if it were I would definatly be going to hell. I had bad anxiety when I was a teenager. No if I feel that tingle in my belly I pray for strength and it helps alot. I always feel better.
    Anonymous

• I don't think its a sin either. God just doesn't want you to worry because he is taking care of you. He wants you to trust him and hand him your worries. This way your life will not be clouded with needless worry and you can carry on being a good Christian.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• If you didn't worry, you wouldn't be human.
    ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I have faith in G-d and I still have severe anxiety (I remember saying the Shema several times during panic attacks even). Granted, it's gotten better but I don't think anxiety is a sin.
    aridattebayo

Answer by aridattebayo at 2:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Nope it isnt a sin. Its a disorder. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and also am a psych major. We are learning about this now and people are born predisposed to the disorder. Would it be a sin if someone was born schitzophrenic?
    Anonymous

• I was also diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder as a teenager. I do believe that there are genetic and chemical componants that make people more prone to anxiety. And no, I don't believe it's a sin.

I'm a Buddhist and that faith does not focus on sin but views some behaviours as 'unskillful' in the sense that they increase suffering for the self or for others. From a Buddhist view, anxiety is our untrained mind running here and there and causing us to worry. For me, anxiety about the future (especially something beyond my control) is a signal to myself that I need to still my mind and do some breathing meditation. I am much more successful in managing anxiety by bringing myself back to the present moment. Meditation and embracing the idea of 'living in the present' has been far more effective for me in managing anxiety than medication was back in my teens.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• People can choose whether or not to worry about things, however there are people have have anxiety disorders in which they can't control. It would be like asking us if it's a sin to have depression. You don't choose to have a disorder, you just do...it's in your brain.

I have anxiety and even with exercise, eating different, talking to others, and praying...it never went away. I was having physical pain from it. I had no choice in the matter...why would I WANT to be in pain everyday?!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Well, if youre a christian and you believe the Word of God to be true, then yes it is. "give no thought for tomorrow, for tomorrow has enough worries of its own"..." be anxious for nothing, but in everything with prayer and supplication, let your requests be known and the God of peace which transcends all understanding will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus". "For God has not given me a spirit of fear but power love and a sound mind". Its clearly a lack of trust in God. Is it common and even normal? Yes, but that doesn't mean we have to put up with it. Getting real about our issues and admitting we are fearful is key. Most of the time, our fears are very deep and unconscious.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Welp, with medication mine has gone away. I prayed for God to fix it and it didn't work...and yes I believe..I'm a Christian! It's seriously one thing to worry about something, and another to have no control over what worries you. When it's uncontrollable then how is it a sin?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2008