What should I do?

My son(9) is giving us a lot of heartache. We moved from the US to UK. He seemed excited about it. He started a new school and started to make friends. Well, he seemed to turn and has become a serious problem child. He used to be a good student,but now he gives his teacher a lot of trouble. He used to be a respectful nice child. Now he is speaking inappropriately,kicking other kids and today he spit on a girl. I honestly almost started crying when his teacher told me he did that. We have tried every kind of discipline(positive and negeative,bribing,etc,etc) except for sending him to military boarding school. His father has spent more time with him and making a real effort to be there. I am honestly clueless,worn out and heartbroken. Could anyone give me any ideas to turn this around. I fear he is going to get kicked out of school and become a hopeless case to his teachers.

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 11:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I am still going through it with my teen I have come to realize it is me she needs, and the fact that I spoiled her didn't help.

We hug more then every and spend more time just talking about things she is so silly but it is working and she is getting there and it takes time.

He is very hurt about something and you have to give him trust to open up, i know it is hard but tough love and let him talk. Spend time with him alone, I don't know the whole situation but something is very painful for him...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• does the school have suggestions or reasons why they think he's acting up? is it a transitional thing? do they have an in school counselor? my son is 6 and I know a transition like that and leaving school, family, friends, culture, etc would likely send him off the deep end. is he acting up to try and create an imagine, impress, etc? perhaps he's being secretly bullied?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:41 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• You moved to a different country, with different cultures, differnt education, different people. Have you though about getting him a counselor to help with the MAJOR adjustment?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i would definitley concider personal and or family counceling. It sounds like he is angry and part of it is tje family becasue he is refusing to listen to you ass a parent. I am sure it will remedy with time. Have you also looked into his new friends? are any of them questionable?
    mislis

Answer by mislis at 2:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2011