Having the worst period of my life! Help!

I've always been pretty lucky when it comes to my period. Even when I'm not on the pill, I don't get cramps, I don't bleed too heavily, and it rarely lasts more than 3 or 4 days. I recently went back on the pill & got my first period on it on Sunday. I am having the worst time! I keep getting awful cramps, usually at the end of the day, and my whole body just aches at times. I have been bleeding heavier than I ever have before and it's only just slowed down, even though it's already Thursday.
My main concern here is the cramps & pain. I've never had to cope with that before - the worst I've ever had is pain in my legs when I've been walking a lot during this time.
So I'm wondering, does anyone have any home remedies for the cramps/pain? I have a few painkillers but I don't like taking them unless I have to, and I don't want to buy more.

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Health

• I am an old pro at the terrible cramps/bleeding. I have tried several different pain killers including narcotics but honestly advil works best for me. Don't avoid activity because believe it or not it actually helps. Stand up and take one leg at a time and try to stretch them behind you, this usually gives some immediate cramp relief. I find some of the cramping feeling is actually due to bowel related stuff so you might actually want to pop a few tums( won't hurt you). Make sure you are taking enough iron and vitamin D. When you are laying down heating pads really do help a little, elevate your legs. Avoid salt and caffeine.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• a heating pad will help. Thats all I can think of. I always have very bad cramps and pain, so bad that at one point vicoden would barely take the edge off.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• For the cramps and pain, nothing beats midol.....red raspberry leaf and dandelion root tea can help with bloating...heating pads help, a glass of wine or a beer can take the edge off....red meat or liver and lots of spinach to replace the iron for the heavy bleeding....soak in a hot tub for the achiness....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• caffeine and lots of it. not a glass of coffee, try no doz pills or midol.

or go the other way and sedate in whatever way you choose (nyquil, etc) and try to sleep it off.

GOOD LUCK
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• personally i find coffee helps me. i get pretty bad cramps in the first day or so of my period, but im not on the pill. and sometimes caffeine can have the opposite effect. however, im pretty sure there is caffeine in midol. anyway, thats usually my go-to cure for heavy cramps, i dont like to take painkillers either. perhaps a nice warm shower and letting the warm water cascade down your tummy might help loosen/relax those cramps?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i have this every month. if u have had a baby you might want to check into endometriosis. if u have heavy bleeding and cramps that can make it hard to move then talk to the doctor about it but what i did was made a rice pillow(use a hand towel or small bath towel and sow the sides then fill with rice and sow shut) put it in the microwave for 15 sec and place it where your cramps r. or a heating pad. or take a hot shower and just lay there and relax those used to help for a while.
    mama106

Answer by mama106 at 7:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2011