How can I get my toddler to stop kicking, hitting & trying to bite?

My son will be 3 at the end of this month & seems lately to react to everything with anger & hitting. Im at my wits end & just want him to be a happy little boy. Im enrolling him in daycare part time soon to be around some other kids and im terrified he will hit other kids? Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• IMO just peel him off of you and say "that hurt me, that's not nice!" and completely ignore for a minute or so in an attempt to get an apologetic hug. Encourage gentle hands, high fives, etc. Praise anything you witness where he's soft/gentle/kind
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I have the same problem. I remind him that he can't have everything he wants, he can't respond by hitting/kicking/biting and either try a timeout, take away a priviledge or put him in his room. For the most part, putting him in his room seems to get the message across the best and is what I do if it happens more than once in a day. Whatever you do, don't cave! Ignore what you can (i get out of his way if I think he's going to take a swing at me), make sure the battle is worth the fight (do you really care if he gets 3 jelly beans vs 4) and be consistent. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Tell him to STOP (whatever behavior he is doing). When he gets to school they will tell him "we don't kick (hit, bite, whatever). You can do it too.
    Anonymous

• I recently started taking my child to play group every week. i was so scared he would act out.... hit another child or bite someone! But he is an angel when we are there. I often think to myself, "IS THIS REALLY MY CHIld!"
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I gave a warning the FIRST time, the second time they got time outs. They each did it about 2 MAYBE 3 times and NO MORE... I noticed though that with my girls it was more of the excitement and NOT anger... When one sister saw that her sibling kept playing while she had to sit in TO it infuriated her.. hopefully around other kids this will work too.. good luck... (My gremlins are 3)
    peekab00

Answer by peekab00 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2011