How can I help my daughter heal her broken heart after her boyfriend broke up with her?

It is so hard to say the right things. She says things like "I will never be happy again"
I want to say wise words that will help her be strong and move on and maybe be mad instead of sad, but I don't know what to say, there seem to be no words that can comfort her.

mtoman

Asked by mtoman at 11:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• She'll get there herself. It's the stages of grief and she has to get through them on her own. Nothing you say will help her do that any quicker.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• yes it just takes time...but as a mom all you can do is be a shoulder to cry on and a ear to listen...that might be all she wants right now
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• just be there for her and listen. She might think its the end of the world for her but she will get passed this her way. Help maybe this weekend have just a girls day of fun things she likes to do like shop, haircut, just something to keep her mind off of things.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Just be there for her, and try to keep her busy so she can't dwell on it to much. In time she will move past it.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I agree it takes time you need to be there for her. Lend her a shoulder and share your experiences. Many times when we go through heartache just knowing we aren't alone it's comforting. Bring out her positive traits and plenty of ice cream. Go through the wardrobe, shop a little online if you must and make a manicure/pedi appt if you can. She will be back to herself soon.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 12:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Just be there for her. Hug her and tell her you love her. It's part of life to feel the pain of a break up, and if you show her she can still grieve and be strong all at the same it will take her far in life. Try telling her something like, if I could take the pain away I could, it breaks my heart to see you hurting, I love you and i'm here if you need me. If she talks to you about him, don't bash him (sometimes that backfires on the basher) just let her talk and let her know she's not alone, although she may feel like it right now. Good Luck, being a parent can have the worst heart breaking moments of all time.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Just be there and listen. She will get through this.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• You need to be there to support her but she has to go through the grieving process herself. You can plan a mother/daughter weekend. Sometimes it sucks being the parents.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• She has to heal on her own. Just be there for moral support

Answer by admckenzie at 12:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I would take her shopping , have a girls pig out feast . let her know you know she is hurting now but one day she will find someone she likes a lot better than him. she may go through heartbreaks but it makes her a stronger person. tell her She will find someone that loves her for who she is and they wont be able to be apart from each other.
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 12:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011