For those who use cloth diapers...

I am planning to use cloth diapers with my 2nd and have been doing some research on them. There are SO many to choose from! It is a bit overwhelming! I would like some opinions of which ones out there are the best to get and why. Also, the best place to buy them as well. Thanks!

Blakesmommy0907

Asked by Blakesmommy0907 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• would rather fill landfills than rinse out poop..i know ...i'M a bad bad person :(
    froghopper

Answer by froghopper at 12:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Good for you, cloth diapering is fun and definitely worth it- it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I haven't done it in a while, since we're done with diapers but as of a year ago I'd tried most major brands and the best for us were the cottonbabies Bumgenius 3.0's. They were bulletproof, fit well, washed easily, can't say enough good about them. They now have a 4.0 newer version out which came out after I was done, so I've not tried them, but knowing cottonbabies they're even better as they keep improving even when you don't think they can. Everyone has their own preference and much of that is based on their own babies individual shapes, so you just have to try a couple things and see what works best for you. For covers we loved thirsties and fleece soakers. Pockets were the easiest and worked the best for us though. I started out with prefolds and worked my way up, eventually even making my own. Good luck!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• For sensitive skin cloth is actually better than disposables- for most babies. You do have to change more, but there are materials like fleece and microsuede that actually wick the moisture away from the skin and keep them dry- maybe even drier than a disposable. What you use to wash them in and how you do it makes a huge difference in your babies skin as well. Most babies end up in cloth as a result of having issues with the chemicals in disposables and have no more issues. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, the cloth diapering groups on here are really great and you can learn all you need to know there.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I love cloth diapers!! there are many different types so it really depends on budget and how easy ou want it to be. I have a fb page called Cloth Diapering 101. you can check that out or you can pm me and we can talk in detail about what would work best for you. I have tried EVERY style of cloth just so I can help others out!! About the whole cloth being more wet against baby skin, they have materiel that is a stay dry material so its not wet against babies skin and your hands never touch poop if you look into how its done now a days. Most people wont even look into it( I have every right to say that b/c I was one of them! We started with spoies and switched to cloth once I opened my eyes and saw all the dangerous chemicals I was putting my baby next to in disposables) Pm me mama and we can talk and figure out what would work best for you!! And anyone else interested please I am more then happy to help!!
    Granolamama3795

Answer by Granolamama3795 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I got all my info on www.jilliansdrawers.com You can try any diaper and return it if you dont like it after using it. I tried many kinds bveforeI found BumGenius 4.0 cloth pocket diapers in a One Size, they will last from birth till potty training because they snap into whatever size you need. They have a pocket in them that you can stuff 1-2 inserts into. They have soft fleece lining that keeps your baby feeling dry, unlike old cloth diapers where your baby sits on a wet diaper and gets a rash. The bum genius have velcro closures or snap closures- the velcro has to be closed before washing or they catch and drag all the otere diapers in the wash and they dont hold up as long. The snap closures hold up much longer than velcro, they dont have to be closed for washing, and when your baby is older they wont be able to open the snaps. I love the snap closures!! These are the only kind I tried that doesnt leak!!
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i love cottonbabies.com! i use prefolds and covers! very simple and easy to use! cottonbabies.com as a sample package u can buy to test out wat kind of diapers work for u! also check out the cloth diaper group on here they are great!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I started out with prefolds and Thirsties covers and used disposables when we left the house. Poo blowout after poo blowout when away from home, I decided to try pocket diapers. I bought two each of Bum Genius 3.0 (would go with the 4.0 snaps, now), 2 Fuzzibunz, and 2 from a WAHM. Then I slowly added more pocket diapers to the stash. I didn't care as much for the velcro on the BG so we only have the two of those. We have added more of the FB and the WAHM dipes. We still use the prefolds at home quite a bit, but we have enough pocket diapers that we use them at home, too. I buy mine from Little Lions and Diaper Junction. The WAHM dipes are www.madebymama.com - Diapers by Deb.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Im really into the GroVia system. I use the shells with a prefold. The snap in soakers that go with them are sort of expensive. They are one-size shells that adjust to grow with your baby, the fit is good. I prefer Aplix over Velcro because Aplix is soft to the touch. DD got a nasty gash from Velcro on the Thirsties-- it was sharp!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:16 AM on Feb. 18, 2011