What are my limits?

When I was pregnant with my first, I didn't work. This time around I am working. I am almost 6 weeks. What are my limits right now? Can I still lift like normal? I don't use the cleaners anymore. I have someone else do that. When do I have more limitations?

BargoBaby

Asked by BargoBaby at 2:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I worked up until 12 days before i had my son, just be careful lifting heavy stuff and when you do bend your knees to life which everyone should do anyway, I lifted heavy trays (waitress) until the end, but I stopped lifting things that were more solid like say a crate of milk etc. Thats really the only precaution I took the entire time.
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Unless you're high risk, nothing really. Not until I joined cafemom did I hear about limits. Why exactly aren't you using cleaners anymore? Even newsletters for pregnancy say pregnancy isn't a time to get out of cleaning, and most things are still safe, as long as your in a well venilated area. So unless your doctor puts you on bedrest for something, and puts lifting restrictions, nothing really. Towards the end I'd take it easy. And if you feel out of breath or tired, take it easy, know your limits, etc. Most employers won't work with you unless you have a doctors excuse. My former employer said you had to lift 50lbs. unless a doctors note excused you from it.
    meitaimom679

Answer by meitaimom679 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• you will know when enough is enough.i worked hard both pregnancys and had easy labors.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Unless your doctor says you can't do certain things - you can do everything. I wasn't allowed to work during my pregnancy because it was high risk. I wanted to. I was bored out of my mind for six months straight.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 2:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Your limits kind of depend on you and your body. I think most women are told not to lift over 25 pounds, though my doctor based my limit on my weight, so it was 15! If you're used to lugging things around for your job, it will be less strain on you than if you just do it every once in awhile, like if you were moving or something. Don't do anything that feels like too much!

As for the cleaners, unless you're using industrial strength solvents, you should be ok to use them, provided it's well ventilated and not dangerous to get on yourself. But hey, of you can get someone else to take on that burden, why not? :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2008