Ways to say Thank You!!!

Im looking for a unique and special way to say Thank You to the NaturalMom that we are adopting from this month...wondering if anyone has some ideas they could share :)...

Guess i should have included a bit more info...the NM and I hve been freinds for 13 yrs...this will be a very open adoption, she would love a thank you! i was just trying to find some unique ideas from other people who may have adopted and gave a thank you!!!

KPrice777

Asked by KPrice777 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Adoption

• I gave my first son up for adoption. I love getting pictures of him! He will be 8 this year. I get email updates and I've seen him in person numerous times. I absolutely LOVE it. He's like my little twin! =)

Maybe open or semi open adoption wasn't the best choice for your daughter PP, but in my situation it was.

Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• This is such a touchy one. I think that it depends on if it's an open adoption or not. If it is, you can make her a scrap book of all of the adoption memories. Your first meeting, the hospital, etc. I think it'd also be cute to make little hands and feet print for the baby that you're going to adopt, so she always has something from him/her. I also think you should write her a letter. Letters are something even throughout history people have held on to and cherished even in the darker moments of their lives. I really think that should be included.

If it's closed, maybe a locket with just a picture inside of the baby.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My dd adopted her child out. I don't think she'd want a thank you. It's assumed. It's hard enough to give up a child but to hear someone thank you for it may not be received well by all natural mothers. Let the lawyers express your thanks. It's not that your kind thought isn't appreciated. It's just a terribly emotional time for a natural mom right now.
    Anonymous

• Answer by Razelda is a good one, I was Adopted also, but didn't find out til I was 16yrs. old. i think you should let your child know about her mother. I didn' t find my sibling til I was 40 and miss alot w/ them. I loved my adopted family and wouldn't have traded them for nothing.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 1:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• p.s. in my dd's case every time the adoptive mom sends pix it rips those wounds back open. We know the adoptive parents mean well but it just breaks my dd's heart every time they send them not to mention the bio father throws it in her face. He did sign but afterward he wanted to back out. My dd knew it was the best thing for the child so she stood firm.
    Anonymous

• My son's birth mom did want to know we were thankful. She rquested that. So by notes, letters, pictures, and giving her all our contact info...it let her know thank you. And she thanked us for providing a home she envisioned for him. We did send her a book, I had learned of her favorite poet who had just published a new book and many of the poems seemed fitting. I also bought us marching circle necklaces with a note that love is unending and so is her bond with this child. I chose things specific to her and specific to our situation.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I was adopted as well, as was my birth Mother (long story) and as the time passes and people get older, lots of information is lost. I suggest also OP starting now and getting an accurate family tree down if possible. Trust me this is something your child is going to yearn for and desire, but if they start at the age of 20, that is 20 years of information that could be lost. Now, I have been working on my family tree for quite some time and while I can find information about my maternal side of the family I know zero about my birth father and zero about my birth Mothers fathers side of the family.

We all need to know where our roots come from, and either way your child is likely going to look one day. What could be a more sweet gift than giving your child a connection to where they've come from?

This is probably going to seem a bit forward, but man I wish I had this when I was growing up!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2011