my son just started throwing food. is that normal??

he's 2 years old and he's always been really well behaved but as of a couple days ago he started shoving food in his mouth and spitting it, throwing it at people or on the floor, or if its somewhat liquidy he'll draw with it on the table. he's never done any of those and he's also been being very rambunctious lately. if i try to stop him or tell him no or take away the food he'll start screaming at me to stop it. he wont let me hold him without throwing a fit either. i'm a little concerned. i'm just wondering if this is normal or not?

raynikki14

Asked by raynikki14 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Welcome to my world! It's normal behaviour by the way. We do the following with our lil devil at meal time: 1. if he throws/spits food onto the floor we get him down from his chair, make him pick up the mess, and meal time is over for him. 2. We also took a solid week of not giving him a plate of food but rather food from our plate: one bite at a time using the same consequence I mentioned above.
    After the week of eating off our plates we were able to give him his own plate but with smaller amounts of food. He's done much better and DH and I have gotten pretty good at detecting when he's going to throw/spit before he does so. In that case, we tell him to put the food on his plate and we take it away, meal over.
    Finally, we make a point to compliment him (and his twin) when he/they are using good table manners. This has helped us avoid many a meal time mess!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2008