My Mom won't let me make any decisions for my own child!!!! Help Please!!1 adult content

Okay so i am a teen mom-16 yrs old. I have a two week old daughter. it seems like my mom is trying to make all decisions about my daughter and is always coreecting me and critisizing me over EVERYTHING I do. example: My daighter is two weeks old and her great grandparents on her fathers side have disabilities,he had his leg amputated and she has high BP etc. and they havent been able to come see her so we thought we would take her to go see them. The pediatrician just said not to have her out at Walmart and other PUBLIC places, but my mom isnt allowing us to take her. I fear that she will try to basically keep my child in a "bubble". I want to make decisions for my child!!!! She told me during my pregnancy she wouldnt do the things she does now..and Tyler and I would be the ones caring for her and making decisions for her but she is doing EVERYTHING she said she wouldnt do. What should I do about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• I think you should be honest and CALMLY talk to her about this.. I am sure she still just looks at you as HER baby and wants to help but doesn't know how not to butt in nicely.. moms are like that.. soon, you'll understand lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Listen to your Mother. She is doing what is best for you & the baby. She raised you so obviously she knows how to correctly care for an infant. You will learn that although you "THINK" you have it all figured out, you don't. Knowledge comes with age & life experience. Thank GOD that you have your Mother to help you.

Anonymous

• you shouldn't be taking the baby out. your mother is right. When the baby is 6 weeks old, feel free to take the ride over there. If you don' like that your mom is making you do what is best for your baby, then move out hun, that's the only solution besides compliance.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I don't think it should hurt you or her. It seems like they aren't able to get out much, thus there shouldn't be too much to worry about germ wise.
    Mommyto2LilMen

Answer by Mommyto2LilMen at 1:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I guess if I were in your situation, I'd let my mom know that I care that she cares about her grandchild, but that I am the one making decisions. There's nothing wrong with taking a newborn over to a relatives house for a visit. I was out and about with mine a little over a week after we were home. Be firm! She's probably not meaning to be overbearing, but she might need reminders that you're not putting your baby's life in danger and you too care about the baby's well being. Good luck =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Maybe she said it because baby's immune systems are basically non-existent for a few weeks. Plus there's flu going around. I'm sure they can wait a few weeks. In the meantime just send pics or something.

It seems that you are only reacting this way because you think a pattern of over-bearing will develop. Also remember, you are only 16, so there will be times you think you know best, but don't. Try to pick your battles wisely and always talk it out with her. Soon enough you will be living as a 'full' adult on your own terms, then she can't tell you anything can she?
    Awakened1

Answer by Awakened1 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I was a mom at 16, I lived with my dh & his mom. But his mom was like that. At the time, it aggravated the crap outta me, & I would get so mad at her. But now, she's the first person I go to when my son (now 3) is sick, or I need advice. It may seem like she's trying to take over, but she's only trying to help. Even the doctor says not to have the baby out until theyre 6 weeks old, because it's risky, and if they get sick that young it will be extremely bad. I know what you mean though, I wanted to take my son around to the family that couldnt get around too. But you have to think about whats best for the baby too. It may seem like forever, but soon you'll be out of the house, and on your own. & even though you'll be relieved to be outta there, you'll still miss the help & advice from your mom, believe me! Good luck
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I could see to an extend on what she has to offer but when it comes to somethings you can do it onyour own. Its good that you want to take care of your child and you should be able to. No reason not too. Good Job. Good Luck. maybe go to family counceling as well.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• when you are so young its hard for a parent to expect you to put your daughters needs first.. not saying you wont but you still are young and havent even got to live your teen years... i agree you shouldnt take her YET but within the next few weeks will be fine.. but tell your mom that she can give her opinion BUT it is ultimately your decision and if she cant support your decisions then you will have to make other arrangements for your family. BUT you should always consider your moms opinions.. remember she has raised at least one baby. also be thankful that your mom cares. alot of girls your age are kicked out of the house to fend on their own
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Talk to your mother about how this is YOUR baby and YOU need to be able to learn how to parent the child. Take your child to see the great grandparents. Your mother can NOT stop you. The baby is YOURS. There is NOTHING wrong with taking your baby out in public at 2 weeks old. Your mom can give her OPINION but the ultimate decision is YOURS and YOURS ONLY!!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2011