My 11 year old daughter told me no when I asked for her cell. She refused to give it to me. Shes a good kid, but shes 11 and looks 16. Worried, what should I do?

daisyduke777

Asked by daisyduke777 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Take the cell. How can you let her tell you NO. And, you can tell her you will shut it off and get any and all activity from the phone company anyways.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• remind her who pays for the darn thing. and if she refuses, you have every right to disconnect her services.

i guess that's the more direct way.

my mom would tell me her phone isn't working and would need to use mine. haha. i had nothing to hide so didn't mind.

but even if i did have something to hide, i could always delete the stuff i didn't want you to see. just keep that in mind as well.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 1:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Your the parent you get the phone, simple as that!
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 1:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• If she won't give you her phone, then you need to find some way to get it. She could be hiding something, but at the same time she may just be embarrassed about something that is on there.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• take it she is 11 she has no right to say no you pay for it and she is your child not your mom. i would be worried about what she is trying to hide,.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• If you pay for it, I'd demand it back - my daughter is 10 - I routinely check her phone and go thru her text etc. I dont think she knows how to delete anything on there yet. (but I could totally be wrong!)
    bluerubychick

Answer by bluerubychick at 1:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My daughter acts wierd about us seeing her cell phone also. She is 13 and in 8th grade. It may be harmless and she may just not want you to see the silly texts she and her friends exchange. I would look into it though. I think you can get a print out of the the texts.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I'm puzzled that you even need to ask. Are you her parent or baby sister?! Go and take the phone and either never give it back or tell her to show signs of respect before she gets it back. Wow!
    Awakened1

Answer by Awakened1 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• You can talk to your phone company and get a record of every text and call that goes through the phone every month in print if you wanted.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• First off, "No" is not an answer. She would immediately lose all privleges for refusing to hand it over. Then I would go to the cell company and get a copy of all activity THEN I would suspend service. I would leave it suspended for at least a month. "
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2011