Best way to introduce pets

i have a weimaraner and a chihuahua..what is the best way to introduce them to our new baby after he is born in march...hint a weimaraner is about the same size as a lab lol just a little bigger

ahsot1230

Asked by ahsot1230 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• We got a receiving blanket and after our kids were born we wrapped them in it for about an hour then my husband took it home to the dogs so they could get used to the smell. We had no problems just a few to many kisses lol.
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 2:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I had two very loveable pitbulls when I had my daughter but I was still kinda scared at first. I allowed them to check out her room before she was born. While we were still in the hospital, I sent home blankets and clothing that smelled of me and her. Know that if you are scared, you dogs can feel that and it will make them scared. My dogs definatly knew what was going on and they were very curious but very slow moving and gentle. I let them check her out when we first came home and everything was fine. If you allow your dogs to kiss baby, make sure they don't do it to much, baby won't be able to breath. I wouldn't worry about the big dog as much as I would the little one. Little dogs seem to be scared of babies and they are overprotective of their owners.
    Tracee F.

Answer by Tracee F. at 2:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2011