My 13 month old is so smart! she understands almost everything except the word NO!

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Its driving me crazy! she is literally always touching the same things she gets told No to or gets a little pow on her hand for, several times a day EVERYDAY.

this child will go and find her sippy cup if you ask her where it is, same with the cat, she will find her two sisters and can say their names, she knows Dora and even answers her questions sometimes with "map" or "backpack", knows what night-night is, bath-time, eat, so it only makes sense that she understands NO. she just chooses not to listen to it!

it is always either the remote-boat on the coffee table, her trying to snag them and play with the remotes but as soon as i catch her she will bring it to me. i tell her No and she is right back to it minutes later. she also enjoys going after the printer paper (the printer is high up but just within her reach if she gets on her tippy-toes) and pulling all the paper out, and climbing onto surfaces like a big lego box her and her 2 year old sister share and a small toybox.

no matter what i do i cant seem to instill the wrong-ness of her behavior with NO or a little swat on the hand. how do you handle an extremely stubborn 13 month old!?!?!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is the same way too. She understands alot but she dont know what the word No means. I think in my opinion she knows but acts like she doesn't.
    acruz86

Answer by acruz86 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• try shaking your head and using the sign language sign for no, maybe associate saying no with a time out (or something less harsh?)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• She knows but doesn't care. My daughter just turned one and almost always listens to no, but if it is something she wants really bad, she will look at me, smile and do it anyway or pretend she doesn't her me. I tap on the diaper and lead her away, knowing well do the same thing a couple more times that day.
    Tracee F.

Answer by Tracee F. at 12:09 AM on Feb. 18, 2011