What would you do if you were me? I need an opinion...

So recently I started a new job at a restaurant and its okay so far. I've trained for about 4 days and the manager called me this morning saying "I've talked to all of the other waitresses so far and they don't think you're ready." I feel confident but I admit, I'm still learning so I'm not 100% yet. Rome wasn't built in a day. But the four days I was training, I was being kind of shoved off to the side, having other waitresses saying "I've got it, don't bother." and then they leave me to clean the tables and restock. I keep being called in for more and more training to the point where I'm not spending time with my baby. I have laundry piling up and none of my classes are getting done(my degree is the most important next to my son). What's your opinion? Am I overreacting. Like I said, I love to work but something seems wierd. Its frustrating because when you train, you don't make near as much as you do working.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

• At my restaurant you train for at least a week. If you feel they arent treating you right then dont bother to keep going because you will only hate your job in the long run.
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• i would go somewhere else.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Yeah, like I said, I don't mind training. That's fine but I feel like I'm wasting my time with people who don't want to train.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Like I said, training isn't the problem but its the fact that I'm wasting my time with someone who doesn't want to train.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I agree with the above. You may want to ask your boss, In as nice a way as possible, when the training starts. If you get a chance to explain what you mean then maybe it will change and if you don't you should just find something else.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• "Its frustrating because when you train, you don't make near as much as you do working."
    I think that is the problem. If you are working while you are training are they paying you less for basically doing the same job? If I managed a restaurant and I could pay someone less for doing the same job by telling them they needed more training - I'd think that was a great deal.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 2:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Sounds like they are taking advantage of you and having you work more when they can pay you less. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to be a waitress. If you're willing to do the work and they're holding you back let them know you will have to leave if they don't let you do more. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Works4mom.com:

You hit that right on the nose. My dad said the same exact thing and that pretty much slapped me in the face.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Well i work from home i cant take the stress plus i dont want to miss time with m husband or kids to bring home money. If you have classes to get done and a lot of housework thats being pushed aside i have something that might help. If you want to know about it send me a message and I will talk to you all about it.
    youngarmywife

Answer by youngarmywife at 4:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Sometimes we have to make sacrifices I have kids meaning more than one I have school and maintain my house and work and cook from scratch and do all the other moms things like running errands schoolwork and work I do .You just have to have a system get up earlier to do the laundry or spend one day doing laundry,errands, phone calls or why don't you try getting a job on campus.Good Luck
    Anonymous