A question for breast feeding lactivists.

I do not like the term "whip it out" even though that is what sort of happens but can you help me put it into words the reason I do not like it. I feel like it portrays the nursing mom as entitled or self righteous. Does that sound right? Thanks.

I did not know which category to put this in.

2tinyhineys

Asked by 2tinyhineys at 2:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I thnk that it sounds kind of crass myself and yes, a little self righteous. I agree with you, that is not my favorite phrase, instead I say that we need some "mommy time" and that makes me feel a little better.
    Happymom1216

Answer by Happymom1216 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Well, it sounds derogatory. Yes, crass too. People say "whip it out" when they refer to penises all the time, so it sort of inappropriately sexualizes breastfeeding, in a way.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It sounds crass.

By the way... I like your screen name!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think whip it out almost sounds perverted. Like it makes me think of a streaker or a naked guy in a trech coat going around "whipping it out." It also makes it sound like a very agressive, in-your-face act which is rarely ever the case in my opinion. I think at least 95% of moms nursing in public are doing so discreetly and tastefully.

While whip it out isn't a great term, this is the first time I have heard "lactivist" and I love it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i agree with those before me! I never used that term. I just said "nurse". If you treat it like it's healthy, normal, and every day part of life, it will often reflect how others view you doing it. IMO so, if you make it sound crass, perverted, or weird, others may view it as that.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

Yes, exactly!

CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• By the way... I like your screen name!

Thanks :)
    2tinyhineys

Comment by 2tinyhineys (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i think you all are reading way too much into it. ppl say whip it out when refering to taking out a pen. it's not sexual or crass. move into the 21st century. ppl whip things out all the time. be they boobs to feed, penises to pee, gum to chew, a lighter to light, or a pen to write with.

We do not have to do that, the law does it for us. :)
    2tinyhineys

Comment by 2tinyhineys (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It's unpleasant and I usually prefer the term nursing to breastfeeding personally.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 5:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

Anonymous