Can you help me find a sign language class?

My son has Down syndrome and i'm ready to start teaching him a few signs. I also found out yesterday that i'm losing my hearing! i need help finding a sign language class in my area so i can become "fluent". i'm in the charlotte, nc metro area. thanks

sweetiebgman

Asked by sweetiebgman at 2:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Health

• I rented an instructional movie from the library that taught us a lot of it. It was done by a famous deaf actor. I'm sorry I can't remember his name but try to look there first. It's was much easier to learn then I though it would be.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Check your local high schools and community colleges. They often have classes for ASL- American Sign Language. Some High Schools offer it at night school programs.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• How old is your son? does he go to school? see a speech therapist? etc. They would be able to help you find resources by you. You can pay for a class there is some places listed below. Or get some videos or look on youtube there is tons of educational sign language videos on there.

http://www.babies-and-sign-language.com/baby-signing-class-north-carolina-classes.html
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Check out your local junior colleges, universites, and adult schools. Also, look and see if there is a school for the deaf in your area. They may have adult classes too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2008