• In the Spotlight:

10 Year Old Can't Follow Directions?

OK so I'll give her a list of a few things to do like: feed the cats, pick up your room then come down for dinner.. and a hr later she may have gotten 1 done and I'm dragging her down for dinner she tells me she forgot - is this just a pre-teen thing or just her? She's my oldest so this is all new to me..

bluerubychick

Asked by bluerubychick at 2:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• She's not forgetting, she just doesn't want to do those things. Put some rewards for doing her chores without being reminded, or some consequesnces if she doesn't. Be firm but pleasant. She'll soon figure it out.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It is normal. It will not change tell she is grown and on her own.

Answer by louise2 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Its not just a girl thing and nor is it normal. It only gets worse when we allow it to continue without setting up consequences for their actions. If you give her a list of chores to be done, then those chores should be done. What's preventing her from doing her chores? Is the list too long for her?
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• She could be ADD. My son was and had the same problem. He is now an executive in a major American company. But when he was growing up I was only able to tell him one thing to do at a time or he could get frustrated. Be patient.
    Anonymous

• It is a girl thing,good luck! from what I hear from my friends it does not get better,it gets worse!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It is not just a girl thing... My tween son is the same way. I just make sure I tell him only one thing at a time and follow through with making sure it is done.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I have removed everthing from her room except her clothes, bed and books and it still happens.. I havent found anything that I can punish her with. It took her 3 months to finally clean her room - she missed out on 1/2 of Christmas and was told she couldnt have her birthday presents until it was clean. She finally cleaned it this past weekend, Her birthday was 3 weeks ago. She's been acting like she's trying to listen a little bit better lately but it's frustrating
    bluerubychick

Comment by bluerubychick (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Well, you cannot blame the child for acting the way she does. You allowed her NOT to clean her room for 3 months. You allowed her room to stay like this without setting up consequences for her. If you allow her to do as she pleases without rules, then you cannot expect her to follow when you want her to. You have to be consistent and follow through with the discipline and the correcting. Rememer, she's the child and a child will do what they want to do as long as there's no limits.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think once the hormones kick in, their brains go out the window!
    poisonivy2917

Answer by poisonivy2917 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011