Hello everyone ,could you please give me some advice (school issue.)

First of all hello everyone , here is where I need your help. I have a 5th grader, and yesturday I had a conference with her teacher .My daughter's grades have declined , from being an A+ student to now being a C. ( I had been warned this teacher was not a very good one), anyways when I was telling the teacher I didnt understand why her grades had declined , out of no where she asked us "do you speak a second language at home?'' This is where I felt weird , would this same question have applied if another student had the same grade as my daughter , but with a different last name ?? I dumbly did not ask her 'why that question " I had never been asked that before . I am thinking I should request another conference and have her explain why she asked me that, this is where I need your advice. Am I making this a big deal? what would have you done if this was your case?

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• She probably assumed that the child did not fully understand the material if English was her second language. But, if she speaks decent English everyday, then the teacher has no place to ask this. I would have another conference to see what you can do to help your daughter raise her grades. You didn't mention if your family is bilingual, but I can tell you, being a bilingual family myself, we have very intelligent and capable children!
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 2:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I would have a second conference and get her to explain that. It sounds like a prejudice statement to me. Even if she is learning a second language good for you and her, that has nothing to do with what the teacher is or isn't doing. I have noticed in the past if my children are having problems I speak my mind with the teachers and usually things change pretty quick because they know I will not take any crap and my children will not be treated different. If you still have problems get her out of that class. I wish you luck, it's a shame education isn't what it use to be.
    catherine3476

Answer by catherine3476 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Thank you both for your advice, My husband and I are both bilingual english/spanish . My oldest children 5th and 2nd grader know some spanish (because we encourage them to learn it) while my 6 year old knows zero. I am very worried because of my 5th grader 's grades , but having to hear this from the teacher just doesn't make any sense.
    Anonymous

• Are the homework papers making it home? Have you seen them? Maybe you can get a better idea of what's going on by looking at them. Does your child have any explanations for the grades? I would request a weekly progress report signed by the teacher to come home every friday and let you know whats going on in class specifically.

If your child is doing the work and getting the grades and has no problems, then I'd just request a transfer to another room.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Umm, actually most bilingual kids I know (the area I live in, there is alot), are very bright and have very good grades. If her knowing a second language had anything to do with her grades, then her grades would ahve been consitantly lower, not just drop out of no were. Have you talked to your daughter and asked her were she thinks the struggle is comming from? She is what about 10-11? She could be starting puberty. My grades droped dramaticly when I started the big "change". I was very confused and alot more irritated by everyone around me. I would say, ignore the teachers coment, your daughter is blessed to have two languages at home. Talk to your daughter and find out what is going on.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2008