7 year old and anger overload

Our son sometimes gets so mad its like he can't control himself, he says very mean things to whoever he is mad at or about himself and it takes awhile to calm down. When this happens were not sure how to handle it. We tell him its ok to be mad but to not treat people that way even if they make you mad.

Some of the things he says we know are not normal for a 7 year old boy. He doens't have any other health issues, he is perfectly healthy.

I have just contacted his teacher for some advice but just wondered if anyone has had this issue and how you handled it.

Thanks!

choco_mom

Asked by choco_mom at 3:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "he says mean things about himself" THIS would probably worry me the most. You definetely need professional help. Are there any new/strange situations around him that may be causing the anger (separation, divorce, move, different school, different teacher, best friend left,etc?)
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 3:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• A great thing you could do with him is to teach him anger management skills. Talk about what anger is, what it feels like, what kinds of things cause it. Then walk him through what he can do . . .
    When he feels his "heat thermometer" start to rise, he can walk away, take three slow, deep breaths, and count to 10 slowly before he says anything. You will be doing him a BIG favor by giving him these skills early in life.
    Keep an open dialogue with his teacher, so you can be consistent with him at school and at home.
    If it seems like there might be something more going on, make an appt with a counselor for him.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• There have been no changes at home or school or anything. We have a pretty strong family and we have a good routine so were not sure where this is coming from. We monitor his tv/movie watching, so were just not sure. My husband and I don't act like that (at least in front of him, we save arguments for later :). Overall he is a good kid, mild mannered is more on the sensitive side as for as boys go.

We are going to do something just not sure what. Waiting to hear if his teacher has any advice because were just not sure what to do.
    choco_mom

Comment by choco_mom (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Some things to ask the teacher . . .
    1) Are you noticing any social issues? Are there any problems with not fitting in or kids bullying him?
    2) How is he doing in the classroom, shouldwe be worried about possible learning disabilities?

make sure that your doc has checked his hearing and eyesight, also, and that he is current with all of his iron testing, etc.

This is an age when alot of problems rear their heads . . .sometimes even something so small like difficulty seeing clearly, can throw a kid into a loop.

Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My seven year old started to behave like this when he was about 4. I took him to the doctor and it was found that he has too much testosterone in his system(a simple way of putting it) But there were other things that let me know something wasn't right. My son is abnormally large for his age.(not overweight) His metabolism is very high, he burns off mostly everything he eats instantly. His anger seemed to turn him into the incredible hulk. He is not on any meds, but he is in anger management.
    EttaMay

Answer by EttaMay at 5:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2011