5 year old son - misbehaving

Hi I’m new to this site and wanted to get some advice about my son.

My son is 5 ½ y/o, is a bright child, has a good disposition, very caring and loving. However, in the past 2 weeks he has been going through some changes and I don’t know what to make of it.

He is going through this stage where he has to control everything. For example, if he is playing with his friends, he wants to dictate everything they do and play. If his friend says no, I am going to play something else, my son gets angry and frustrated. He has always been goog about taking turns, sharing, etc.

Up until recently he has been a good sport. The last 2 weeks of soccer games if the other team makes a goal he gets mad and crosses his arms. Last week he said really loud “that’s not fair!” when a boy of the opposite team made a goal.

When I ask him to stop doing something and get ready to leave (to go to store or whatever) he doesn’t listen. I’ve had to ask him 2 times and by the third I’m telling him to get moving or he’ll get a time out.

He has started demanding things from me and Dad instead of asking. Up until 2 weeks ago he would always say, for example, “May I have some milk?” Now it’s Mommy, get me some milk! My response is “Excuse me! You will not get anything asking like that. Immediately he will say “May I have some milk Mommy” but he usually demands first.

We’ve had the same bedtime routine since day 1. Bath same time every night, take vitamins, brush teeth, read books, lights out at 8:15. He always falls asleep immediately. Lately it’s been a power struggle.

When he was outside playing with his friends and I gave the usual 20 minute warning, he has ALWAYS come in without a fight. This past weekend, tantrum erupted!

At school he is doing fantastic. Same sweet boy as always.

When talking to my husband about it I expressed that everyday he doing this and before we know it his teachers are going to say it has started at school. We as parents have always been very consistent, we follow through on everything and we have always given praise for good behavior. He is very loving still and incredibly caring.

Can anyone tell why they think my sweet little boy has suddenly turned around and acting like he’s 2 again? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I’m at my wits end!

lovemylife4

Asked by lovemylife4 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He is growing up and spreading his wings.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I agree with tootoo. He is learning control over his environment. Don't make too much of it, but be sure to tell him what the appropriate way to address you, act at a game, play with friends, etc., is. He will take it in.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I agree with others. Stay consistent, firm, loving, and calm. Keep all rules and ways of intereacting in place.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Stay consistent, but give him choices. He's starting to realize that he can control some things, life will be much easier if you start to include him and give him choices and options instead of orders. This is pretty typical for that age. They are just expressing themselves the best way they know how.
    Anonymous

• Our sons sound like behavior twins lol. Mine has always gone up and down with different stages in life, he does not adjust well to change, especially when the change is taking place inside himself (growth spurts). It sounds like you're doing everything to help guide him through the changes, and patience is all that's needed. It's a stage and eventually it'll end. Children often test only their parents, and never their teacher. As I teacher I hear parents concerns all the time about behavior, and see the shock on their face when I can honestly say at school I never see anything they're talking about. Just continue to be consistent, and know you're not alone, we've got it going on here too :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2011