Do you feel it's a woman's RESPONSIBILITY to educate herself about pregnancy and childbirth either before or during her pregnancy?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 3:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I do. I also feel as a mother of a daughter that as she grows older it is my job to educate her about these things as well, I don't think she should wait until she is pregnant to learn some important things. I'm not saying a 12 year old needs to watch a live birth per se, but I hope to stress to her the wonderful blessing and responsibility that is motherhood and I hope that she does not take these things lightly. For myself, the first thing I did when I found out I was pregnant was go to the library and check out every book I could find about pregnancy, and I learned a lot! lol!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Of course.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Absolutely, it is.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Yes to both.....she should understand before and during pregnancy to educate herself about the whole process, statistics,...everything.
    Anonymous

• I agree that it's good to read up on what to expect, etc. even though you can NEVER be fully prepared on what's gonna happen.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 5:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I do. I thought I was well educated on the subject then had a very big surprise, my son. I read and asked questions and haven't had another surprise. The next baby we had was planned.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Yes but I also think it is the medical personnel she has chosen to care for her during her pregnancy's job to make sure she is aware of all the racecourses available and which ones are most recommended. Not everyone is going to be successful at locating resources especially if she has no idea what kinds are offered in her area. It's hard to look for something you don't know exist.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• yes it is. and if there are any questions its the responsibility for the person to seek out the answer via books or doc and its the docs responiblity to answer all questions and concerns and to also explain how things are going and about complications.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Absolutely!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i watched a couple of birth videos and read several books, boy did i have a big surprise when i had to deliver. it's hard to completely educate yourself about it without going through it. i don't you HAVE to but you maybe you should, but there are some people who don't even know they are pregnant.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2011