Excuse me? $25 for MY medical records?

I called the Hospital where my daughter's leg was x-rayed for a copy of her records just for y records. I stupidly forgot to ask for it that night. Anyway I am told I have to mail in a written request and a check for 25 dollars in order to get her records. I understand this is procedure but it seems a little messed up to me that I have to pay for my own medical information. I could see them charging for repeat request or something...

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Health

• I wonder if they could just email it to you or something? lol
    Anonymous

• That is about the price of one aspirin at the hospital. They charge it because they can.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My doctor's old office charged me for my records too, when I had to switch doctors because mine moved to a different city. I only had one appointment with the new doctor before I moved to the new city myself, where I'm now seeing my old doctor again - and guess what, as it turns out, he's still got my records anyway, so I never even had to get them from the old office!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I've been in the same situation. It's ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• They charge it because it costs them to fulfill your request. The $25 goes towards the salary of the person finding the records and making the copies, the cost of electricity to run the copier, the cost of paper, envelopes and postage. Is the cost overblown? I don't know...probably.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Well perhaps if they gave this stuff to you as you left I could see them charging but they don't. I believe the hospital makes planty of money from my co-pays and my 20% plus what the insurance pays to cover a few sheets of paper.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I worked in a doctor's office and they finally started charging because they got requests from so many patients. I was the one who got the privledge of making the copies and some of those records were huge. It was a pain most of the time because I had to make sure only labs and notes by the doctor I worked for and no other referring or consulted doctor. They charged $15.00. I thought it was a little ballsy to ask for money to do that even though I was the one who had to do it but I guess it's like everything else. Resources got used so they were making money off it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• And from my experience typically these things aren't ready when you're leaving. It might be different there but the office and the hospital where I was, the turn around time was at least a day or two before reports were ready.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It just seems like one should have a right to their own medical information. I do understand resources were used but at the same time I go back to ... It's my medical history, not theirs. I dunno. I guess it's just me. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• They charge for the manpower and for copying the records. My doctor does it per page and seeing I have been with my doctor for over 20 years, it would be way more than $25 to get my file.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011