Baby horrible sleeper due to relux?

I am a firm believer that a baby not sleeping well is an indicator that they are uncomfortable. I get so frustrated when people tell me to let my baby cry it out. I am not a believer in it however don't critisize people who do it. I just wanted opinions about if my son is not sleeping because of reflux or "spoiled" He's 7 months old. Recently a doctor (not his regular one) told me my LO is not sleeping because he wants to be with me. However I told him that even when i'm holding him he's constantly waking. Whing arching his back, kicking his legs... He's clearly uncomfortable. The doc than replied "he wants to play". I'm sorry not matter how "spoiled" a baby is they will stay asleep for at least a little while. Also, on days that he's really not sleeping well he also whines a lot and doesn't eat well and doesn't smile as much. He has suffered from severe acid reflux for his whole life so far...What's your opinion?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be due to the reflux. I know with my son, his reflux, (which is being "controlled" with meds as well as formula for spit up) keeps him up at night quiet a bit. My ped recommended elevating his head while he sleeps because it helps with his acid. Which may be why he is more likely to sleep on you. I know with our personal experience, he also stared waking up at night when he was reaching new milestones. i.e Crawling, pulling himself up etc. Good luck to you OP! I hope this helps in some way!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It sounds as if your doctor is not listening to you. Being the mom of 2 moderate-severe reflux babies, I tend to agree with you. My first was the non-sleeper, most of it due to the pain, but we also think he was trying to solve cold fusion. The younger one always slept really well unless the reflux was flaring. Both also had a dairy intolerance and once I had that figured out the reflux also got a little better, but didn't leave completely.

I would insist on a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist if you doctor will not help you. My oldest was a reflux baby when only zantac was available. It was horrible, very weight based and the doctors tend to under-dose it. Not to mention it tastes like mint vodka. My youngest got Prevacid solutabs. They dissolve. They taste like strawberry. They also work 20times better.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Find a new DR IMO those sounds like all the signs when my DS had reflux and his medicine needed to be adjusted one of the few things that helped him was keeping his head elevated while he slept with a wedge and keeping him upright after he ate.Good Luck :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Thank you for your comments guys. balagan imma I don't think the doc was listenting to me at all either. Luckily he is not my regular doctor so I basically said screw you to him. My LO is seeing a GI and is on Nexium and has improved minus the sleeping. How long did it take for your kids to grow out of it? It took my oldest almost a year...
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My son is 8 months with reflux and he doesnt sleep well either..so I believe it has to do with reflux as well..still waiting for him to grow out of it..somedays are better then others..they say it can be up to 12-24 months :(
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 1:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2011