How did you/have you educated and prepared yourself for childbirth and parenthood?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 3:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• When I found out I was pregnant, I took childbirth prep classes, breastfeeding classes and infant/child CPR. I've read multiple books - I'm a reader. Also, when I was younger I was a nanny for one summer and I babysat extensively - I picked up quite a lot of tips from parents and learned some through trial and error. I saw a lot of different families and what worked/didn't work for their family. My major in college was education, so I had quite a few child psych classes and some instruction on how to best teach children.

Answer by missanc at 3:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i read books talk to my doc alot and visit the labor and delivery ward. and everything went off without a hitch.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I read books. I took every parenting class I could. I took Child Psychology classes. I asked lots of question of those I saw were good parents.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I read a lot of books and talked to my OB. I also took several classes at the hospital; infant CPR, feeding, etc,
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• 13 years of babysitting, watching my parents, friends, family. Asking questions, reading, etc. A big part was using common sense.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• 10 years of childcare experience,talking to relatives and lots and lots of reading.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 5:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Nothing. Figured women have been doing it for millions of years so it should be easy enough.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 7:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Read a lot of books, researched all the decisions i would have to make and talked to a lot of experienced Moms about their experiences. I also had a daycare run in my house, most of my high school life, so i learned a lot from them too.
    All of that really helped me a lot, but the most important thing to know is, TRUST YOURSELF. No matter how many articles or books you read, there is no cookie cutter answer for any of your mom questions. Every child is different. And all you can do is have as many "tricks" in your bag as you can, so eventually you will find what works for you.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 9:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2011