Yard issues

We live in the Pacific NW, so it rains quite a bit. Our grass is trashed due to the constant rain and weather weirdness. I want to take it all out, put a dog run on one side, a chicken run on the other, keep the play structure, but ditch the car port (our van doesn't fit there anyway, it's a 15 passenger Ford E350) and use either 3/4 point or pea gravel for the rest. We plan to build a deck, too.

DH is against taking out all the grass, I am demanding it!

Any ideas on what would be better???

SnapdragonSMT

Asked by SnapdragonSMT at 3:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I am a New England Gardener so I don't know exactly what will work for you in your climate but it sounds like if you want to keep some green without the grass you might want to try a "steppable" moss. Its green like grass, soft on the feet but will take the moisture you speak of and grows pretty quickly. There is a whole line of steppable brand garden products that might work for you.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I would love grass... but it doesn't seem to grow in our yard because its either to muddy or too dry. Mine is just so bare and dirty.... I would love to know a happy median.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 3:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I would think that if it's so wet out all the time it is a good idea to get rid of the grass. tell ur man to think of the possitive to getting rid of it, no mowing, caring for, and looking at soggy grass.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 3:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I should have mentioned that our property is on an old parking lot, so the material is clay with old concrete underneath. Nothing grows well in clay!
    SnapdragonSMT

Comment by SnapdragonSMT (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Hire someone to give you an estimate and a design landscape what you have in mind and then show it to your husband.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2011