My 6 yr old started bed wetting suddenly..

daniel has never had a bed wetting problem that i know of. bt recentlyy he has been wetting late at night and then hiding the wet underwear. we have calmly talked to him abou this and y he cant lie about it... he needs to be cleaned up and the blankets changed, etc.but im not sure how to deal wih the discipline part. he doesnt seem to care that he wets himself but he needs to understand that itswrong... do i dscipline him at all or ignore it?

ash.k.ray

Asked by ash.k.ray at 3:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Whatever you do, don't discipline. He is not misbehaving . . . . it can be very normal for accidents to happen throughout elementary. Buy some GoodNites for him to wear to bed. They will keep his bed dry. He can even change himself in the middle of the night and fall back asleep jsut entails taking off the boxers and putting a new pair on.. . . that way you don't need to be woken up, and he can feel some responsibility and mastery over the situation.
    Be sure to mention it to his doctor the next time you are in so they can rule out biological causes.
    Also, sometimes, when this start happening out of the blue it is an indication of some sort of psychological distress . . . has anything happened to scare him or make him feel bad lately?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• ~*Wow*~... looks like you need to get to the root of the problem Momma!!! If he is suddenly wetting, you did awesome in not punishing him!!! *Hugs*

Are there any new posters/pictures up that might look scary in the dark/dim light? Furnature re-arranged? new people moved in or out of the home? Bullied at school? It could be any number of things, and I hope you have an open relationship with them where they feel they can trust to tell you... if physical, than a doctor can prescribe beeping underwear that'll help wake them, and train them that way...

Wishing you the best of luck!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Dont punish him, it will onlly make it worse. I would mention it to his Dr. good luck.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 3:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• This started happening with my son too when he was around 6, and please don't punish he did nothing wrong. Your right, he does need to tell you so it can be cleaned up, make sure he understand why it need to be cleaned up.

Explain to him if he wakes up and finds he has wet the bed that he can change his clothes and pull the blankets on the floor to sleep so he doesn't have to sleep in the pee.

We found that our son holds things in and doesn't talk about them right away, so maybe your son has something on his mind? once he talked about it the wetting stopped. He still does it about one a month and he is 7 now.

Don't ignore it but still talk about it, but seriously don't punish him. Just keep talking with him about it. We got a pad to go under his sheet so the mattress didn't get ruined. Look into soemthing like that and then maybe talk to his dr about it.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think maybe you should look into what has changed about his surroundings that might have cause this.

Answer by older at 6:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• If it's sudden, you might want to take him to the doc to be tested for a UTI. Then reassure him that it happens, and not to be embarassed and hide the wet stuff.
    Anonymous

• It is most likely stress related. It is also highly embarassing to children so it makes sense he would hide it. If you want him to tell you about it, just reassure him that he won't be in trouble ever.

This is RARE, but I think it is important for people to know...sometimes bedwetters are victims of sexual abuse...and sometimes wetting the bed is a subconscious way to ward off others. Don't get me wrong, bedwetting does NOT equal abuse...but you will know if the child has been exposed to any adults recently who could be harming them and see if this situation fits.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 12:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I don't think you should discipline or ignore it. I agree with what most have said. Please do not scold him. I don't believe he is wetting the bed on purpose. There could be several reasons to why this is happening. He could be sleeping really sound and just not be able to wake up to go to the bathroom. It could be a medical reason or as many has said it could be stressed induced. I would limit his night time fluid intake. I would also ask him if anything is bothering him. Reassure him that he can always tell you anything. If it continues I would take him to a doctor. Bless his heart and yours too!
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 12:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• if he hides the wet clothes, he "knows" it´s wrong, so he´s not misbehaving. Take him to the doctor, it might be something physical. Explain to him that you know he´s not doing this on purpose, and that you will try to get him all the help he needs to stop wetting the bed.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 12:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• It's funny you posted this because my 6 yr old son...who has never wet the bed before.....suddenly has started doing it! I don't do anything when it happens, no big deal, he sleeps in my bed and I sleep in the recliner...his matress needs drying out so I just throw the sheets off and change his clothes. I cannot give you any idea why this happens other then just being to tired or lazy to get up and go...also my son says he dreams he is going potty and he wakes up wet and doesn't understand how that happensd. just stay calm and don't give the situation much attention at the moment it happens....they do not like it as much as we do
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2011