Do you really BELIEVE that formula is equal to breastmilk?

I am not trying to create an argument. I have had to feed one of my children formula. I had NO other choice at the time, but I never for one moment believed that it was equal to or better for him than breastmilk.

Obviously, both options will nourish and sustain your babies. What I am curious about is if there really is a belief that formula is equal or superior.

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 3:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Anyone who ignores the vast amount of scientific FACT proving that breastmilk is far superior is only lying to themselves out of guilt or shame. If you choose to feed your baby formula, that's your right, but there's no need to say formula is "just as good" when it has been proven time and again to be the inferior option.
    wutluviz

Answer by wutluviz at 3:38 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I do not believe Formula is equal to breast milk but I also do not believe there is anything wrong with feeding formula. It's like fresh squeezed versus from concentrate! Both are good but one is more natural. ;0) There is nothing wrong with feed formula. Millions of babies have grown up just fine on it. Some would not have grown up at all with out it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i breast-fed 2 of my 3 children for 2 weeks tops. one of them never had a drop of breastmilk. so ultimately, all 3 of my children were formula fed.

however, i do not believe it is equal to and certainly not better than breastmilk. it is purely second best.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I do believe it's equal. "Better than" is subjective.

Not to start an argument within and already inflammatory subject ... Whats interesting is that there aren't studies done about the quality of breast milk over time. I know that there are mothers that eat very well while breastfeeding; but what about the ones that eat a lot of processed foods? I have a hard time believing that formula wouldn't be better than the milk produced by some women. Just something to think about.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• No. I breastfed 4 of my kids for a year and my 5th for 6 months. With her I had to switch to formula for medical reasons, but it bothers me because I know the formula isn't equal to breastmilk.

Answer by missanc at 3:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Not equal, but it is the next best thing to breast milk. I wasn't able to breastfeed my DS, formula gets the job done.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i dont understand the connection to knowledge with breast vs formula? i dont believe one makes a child smarter than the other would. however, one cant deny that there are ingredients found in breastmilk that you simply cant replicate and that, infact, make breastmilk better. take antibodies for one.. you will not find mothers antibodies in formula. the reason breastmilk is better is because of the nutrition content. and again, this is coming from a formula feeder and someone who was formula fed as a baby. breastmilk IS better, thats not an opinion!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Next best thing, yes.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Nutritonally I believe that breast milk is the best choice for most babies. While I do think that formula is a good option, I do not believe it is the best option. There are certain things that simply can not be replicated synthetically.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Equal - no, even though both get the job done.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2011