Should this be co-ed?

Do you think contact sports like wrestling should be co-ed?

While I appreciate the girls' right to wrestle, I just don't think it appropriate for them to be on the same teams as boys. (Sorry, I don't think this address is usable as a link, but I don't know how to do that.)

http://www.fanhouse.com/news/main/iowa-wrestler-defaults-rather-than-face-girl/1597520?cid=11&ncid=webmail

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think if the girl wants to wrestle and her only option is to wrestle the boys then she should be allowed. Is the concern some sort of sexual issue? Because then I would say that it really isn't any different than a gay male wrestling a straight male and that has to happen plenty. We had a girl on the wrestling team when I was in high school and she was quite talented.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I don't think any school would have enough girls wrestling to actually have meets like the boys' teams. If they want to wrestle....let them wrestle.
    jucyfrut

Answer by jucyfrut at 6:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• A girl/woman, can do anything a boy/man can do, this was my motto with my girls when they were young and it still stands today.

Answer by older at 6:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I don't see why any sport open to the public would need to be anything besides co-ed. In the case of wrestling, gender wouldn't matter, you wrestle according to weight, so there isn't any advantage because of males being bigger or anything. And personally I've never understood this whole "you don't touch a girl" bull shit that they feed boys. Girls and boys are no different... Or at least they shouldn't be!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• your link worked perfectly for me. In fact I JUST read this story myself a few min ago. I have a hard time with this one. While most of me says 'no girls should not be fighting boys' a little part of me also says 'well, who would they wrestle'. Not many girls are into the sport. Not enough to make a league anyway. I guess they did what they could. as long as the girls family is okay with it... I just am very torn here.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Ah, but I think the issue of claims of sexual harassment could be the same for a boy. Boys can sexually harass other boys, too, straight or gay. And wrestling matches are always refereed or supervised by a coach in practice so there is someone there watching. A girl might be at a slightly greater risk but you hear horrible stories of harassment or "hazing" that happen on teams that are not co-ed so it's always a possibility and you can't protect against everything.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Why not ?

She chose to do that sport, and now she is being denied the chance to succeed because boys think she's fragile, and don't think she's capable of choosing to do this sport.
    This just reinforces the idea that girls cannot do this, or that girls somehow need protecting, when we are fully capable of wrestling and performing contact sports.

Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:31 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Thumbs up ,Mom! You are right.They should start up a seperate team for the girls. I would not allow my daughter's to join.
    Mommy1234321

Answer by Mommy1234321 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My thoughts are that if a girl should claim some sort of sexual harassment/inappropriate contact, she wouldn't be believed because of the nature of the sport.
    hootie826

Comment by hootie826 (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I'd let MY girls.
    peekab00

Answer by peekab00 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2011