Not accepting applicants who have been out f work more than 6 months...

How do you feel about this? Is it ethical? Does it go against equal opportunity ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think an employer can discriminate in that way, if they so choose. I don't think it is unethical, makes it so hard for those trying to be gainfully employed ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• its stupid. its like saying ok, now you can never work again
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Why wouldn't it be ethical or against equal opportunity? There is no reason a company should have to consider someone who has been out of work for an extended period of time - it's their business.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• That's just silly. If a person is more qualified he/she shouldn't be disregarded for being out of work longer than anyone else

Answer by admckenzie at 3:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I could really only see that being reasonable if the job is for someone who has a highly perishable skillset, or one of those jobs that you need to continually go to follow on classes in order to remain up to the minute.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 3:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• what do those companies feel then..? do they feel that if circumstances made it so you werent able to work for those 6 months, that then you are just outta luck...& shouldn't be hired by anyone ever again? because if you aren't being considered for hire if you werent working within the last 6 months (mind you some states more than others are really having a rough time, & lots of people arent able to find work even though they are actually trying) then how do they expect you to change that about yourself ? the onlyt way to do that is for someone to actually hire you !!
    Anonymous

• My husband has been trying for 1 1/2 years to get employed by someone, ANYONE. He's applied at fast food...everywhere. Nobody has hired him. He got laid off of his job and we've been struggling ever since.
    I think it's inhumane, because from day one we both have been trying to find jobs ACTIVELY and for employers to allow this is BS. Half the time they don't even ask why you've been out of work...just figure your lazy!
    How many times can you put in an application at McDonalds? We're up to 10 now.......
    Anonymous

• it is unethical

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• In THIS economy, it's CRAPPY for any company to have that kind of policy.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

***

Agreed!! In this economy I am more likely to hire someone who has shown resourcefulness to take ANY job--even one that is "beneath" them in order to work, than someone who exhausted their unemployment benefits first before looking for a job.

I earned a Master's Degree 17 years ago, and wen I became a mom, I decided to become a SAHM for 8 years until my children were in full-day school as my husband's salary was sufficient for me to do so. And even though I was a SAHM, I spent part of that time running TWO successful home-based businesses, WORKING a PT retail job, AND going back to school to earn my teaching certificate, so that literally the day my younger son started school, two years ago, so did --no problem!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2011