Is she developing to slow?

I'm a little concerned about my 17 month old daughter, Gracie. She is not walking on a regular basis... If me and my husband sit on the floor she can walk back and forth between us very well. She can stand up and climb on the couch well. It's concerning that she doesn't walk around the house, just crawls. Speech seems slow too. She points at things, but doesn't say "whats that" or anything. She babbles so much. I can get her to copy me when I say "mama" or "dada". She won't point to us or say mama or dada to get our attention though. She is a good eater, not picky and sleeps so great 10+ hours a night. She is following the same developmental ways as my now 3 year old daughter, Abigail. I hear mothers saying there children have been walking since 12 months, and they say "my juice", "baba", "what's that", "dog", "Cat".. just small things. I just wonder why she doesn't and neither did my older daughter at 17 months. Abigail was in the early steps program until she aged out at 3. She still talks a little babyish compaired to her peers in prek3. Any advice? or Mothers in the same situation as I am?

MKSers

Asked by MKSers at 3:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally I would go off of what a doctor says. My son was early for everything so to me if one of my children still werent walking at 17 mos when my son walked at 9 mos, I would be concerned. WHat does the pediatrician say?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I would talk with her ped doctor, he is the only one I feel can answer your question. Every child is different and does things in there own time.
    Anonymous

• I think I would take her in to the PEDS. At 17 months, she should be walking or at the least crusing by herself. I'm not as worried about the speech, my son was a late talker (at 2 years he was on a 1 year level), but she should be courious about things.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• If she's right on target compared to her sister, I wouldn't be overly concerned. MOST children will walk around 18 months. My kids learned early, but they were also BIG and we couldn't carry them around as much. I was pressured heavily to place my son in speech therapy at 3 because he was still in the "baby babble" phase. In hindsight I think he just couldn't hear well enough due to many ear infections, some caught, most not. My daughter will be 4 in March and is not even close to her peers in speech, most of it is still only intelligible to ME.

Her doctor would have the best answers for you though.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• The child I take care of walks but only is able to say the first sound or syllable for objects. Mom, dad, and I are the only ones who know what he is trying to say. So, this is in line with what you are saying as far as speech. Ask doctor about the walking.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011