what causes PCOS, and why do so many women have it? Is their something wrong with the baby making business? This is crazy!!!!!!

PCOS

msdamron

Asked by msdamron at 2:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Health

• its when a woman has to many "male hormones" and only about 5-10% of women have this problem

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 2:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Robin said everything I was thinking actually. PCOS is actually one of the lesser common ailments regarding the female reproduction system.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• um actually is has to do with and insulin resistancy. most women that have this are also diabetic and have weight issues. i have it and don't have the weight issues but i do have glucose problems and i had GD. were you just diagnosed? they aren't sure what causes it. and it took me a year of trying and then a cycle of clomid to get pregnant.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 9:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I have had it since, well it started at 16, sometimes i'm okay with it, but other times i get so frustrated. I was on Metformin, i had reached 230lbs at 18 being on 5ft5. so they put me on metformin and i lost 70 pounds, now i'm 22 and going to get married soon, and when we decide to try and have kids i do not want to have to go to a doctor every week. i dunno i guess im just sick of dealing with all the problems that comes along with PCOS. I have to shave my face everyday because of the hair, and it hurts because i am a women and shouldnt have to do this! :(
    msdamron

Answer by msdamron at 10:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I have two friends that have PCOS and one of them has a lot of facial hair as you have described, however, the other one doesn't. They both have weight problems, but neither have diabetes or any type of blood sugar disorder. One of them has two children that she had naturally. No fertility testing or drugs. No clinical procedures. She actually didn't know until after her second was born that she had PCOS, but they had been testing her for thyroid problems and a whole slew of other things for years.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2008