At what age did u / will u stop supervising what your child watches on tv ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• i prettu liberal with what i allow, there are only a few cartoons that i don't allow my son to watch (the night-time cartoons) but as far as the tv as a whole probably 12-ish or so. i think watching certain shows open up the conversation for children to ask questions that parents should be the ones to answer.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Oh boy.....after catching an episode of that new show SKINS the other day....I would have to say...they can watch what they want when they pay for the tv programming mom and dad pay dearly for!!! Until then, its mine to control :)
    Anonymous

• I really don't supervise. My little ones choose to watch disney or nick. My teen watches what he wants.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• When they move out and are paying the bill. I don't allow certain shows in my house at all.

Answer by missanc at 8:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• The elusive "when I think she's ready." There's no hard-set age for that.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I'm with CrafingMama. I think even teens need some supervision or direction sometimes.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• When I was a teenager I willingly watched television with my parents. We had fewer televisions than people so we had to.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Since my kids were toddlers they've had a list of channels they would find interesting on the cable box.  That was to just make it easier on me.  We kept the TV set to that list and they could easily flip through the channels to find what they like.  We still have that for our almost 5yo but the older kids know how to use the remote to choose from any of the channels.  They are 10, 9 and 8 and watch what they want and so far have never picked anything I wouldn't approve of.  They mostly stick to the kid channels or stuff we might watch together (like How I Met Your Mother, the Simpsons and Ninja Warriors--when we still got G4).
    They normally watch TV in the other living room (we have 2 of them).  I don't watch cartoons or most of their shows.  They give me a headache and bore me to tears.  I do like to watch iCarly with them.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• When they move out...I dont want certain shows in my house at all.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• When she moves out.
    While she is still here, there are things I will not allow her to watch. And she will never have a tv in her room. If she cant watch it in the living room with all of us, she shouldn't be watching it.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 8:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011