Why can't cable companies offer packages that don't include ~

porn, shopping channels, kiddie shows (for those of us who don't have kids at home anymore), religious programs. Yes, there are one hundred bazillion channels but 80% are useless!

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Entertainment

• You cant buy channels separately because the networks that run those channels are the ones who negotiate with cable and satelite companies about what packages those channels with go into, the bigger the package the more the network charger the cable or satelite company. It would cost about $10 per channel if you want them separately, because the network would charge a huge amount if it was offered separately from everything else and the cable or satelite company will pass on this cost to its customers.

I work for Dish Network and I head the department that makes those negotiations. Believe me there is nothing the company wants more than to make it easier for customers, but it would cost such a rediculous amount, that no one would want to do it, believe me the actual company doesnt have much say on the prices and the packages, the networks that provide the channels do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• I want to be able to design my own program and pay for only the channels that I like to watch or will use.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It's be nice if you could just pick what channels you want to pay for/watch.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think we should be allowed to pick and choose channels and pay for them like pizza ingredients. Like, local channels are the crust, sauce and cheese and cost a basic fee. Then you get to choose other toppings and pay per topping.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is why
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I am fairly pissed at my cable company. We always get a two year package to keep the rates down. This year I decided to trim down our cable bill. We usually get every channel available, and thats fine but we had noticed alot of the movies were offered on other channels at the same time. So I cut it back, and found I didnt get one channel I always did (ID Investigation Discovery channel). Call me a dork but I watch alot on that channel lol. I called back because this is a digital channel not a movie channel and I had signed up for the digital stations. I was told I could only get that channel if I ordered more movie channels......wth?

Answer by gemgem at 4:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• No one!

you can get hulu or netflix and only order what you want
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• well i live in an apartment which offers its own cable packages so i only have a select few channels, most of which are watched. it does not offer porn! and alot of those porn channels are set up as "pay per view" now anyway. the ones around here are pretty good with customizing your packages to fit your viewing needs :)

but i like the netflix idea, you can pretty much select ONLY what you want to watch!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I hear ya on that one. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• TRUE! I HATE HATE HATE the programming packages. I wish they would charge a set fee for you to pick your own channels and if you choose to get rid of (for example) 20 useless one's you should get a free movie channel.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2011