High school wrestler refuses match against girl wrestler and foregoes chance at championship ~

I say - good for him! What kind of craziness is that he has to make that kind of choice?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/17/joel-northup-cassy-herkelman_n_824649.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with the boy. I know I will get voted down for this but just because you have the right to do something doesn't always mean you should. Although she has the right to participate, I just don't feel it is appropriate for a sport such as wrestling to be co-ed.

hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Apperntly SOME of you didnt read what the boy SAID (and are the reason women's lib has a bad name...) The poor KID said

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times," said Northrup. "As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."

It wasnt a choice he should have had to make! I am raising my son to NEVER man handle women. My male cousins were raised the SAME way! But oh wait...THIS is ok? WTH?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• IMO, the boy is already a winner. I don't think coed wrestling is really appropriate. The "groping" alone bothers me.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• At some point, there should be some things that aren't co-ed. The holds that wrestlers have to do aren't for co-ed. I applaud him.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• If he'd wrestled and accidently grabbed her breast? Then he's not a wuss he's a pig. I'm with him.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 5:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Some men do not want to wrestle a girl. In a lot of ways it is unfair to the girl, brcause of 6the natural way that a man is built, but to be an advocate for him, wouldn't it feel weird fighting a girl? They should have girls wrestle girls, guys wrestle guys, thats how every other sport seems to go.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I agree with the boy and also know it wont be popular.

Answer by gemgem at 4:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I agree with the boy! It would have been a no win situation! If he lost, he would be perceived as a wuss. If he won, he would have been perceived a merciless brute, and people would be complaining that it wasn't a fair match-up!

http://wzakcleveland.com/cle/hazmatthews/wtf-high-school-wrestler-charged-with-sexual-assualt-over-controversial-move-the-%E2%80%9Cbutt-drag%E2%80%9D/

And I supposed if was an image of the boy and girl, there would be a TON of "concern!!"

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I say good for him!!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 5:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Kudos to him!
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2011