Bump/Goose Egg

My 7 1/2 month old is wanting to be mobile and reaching for things. He fell over yesterday while my younger sister was babysitting. He smacked his head on the glass TV cabinet. My sister says he didn't really cry or anything and went back to playing, but when I went to pick him up he had a huge bump on the side of his head behind his ear! I mean a serious goose egg bigger than his ear...
I checked his responses to light (shined a light in his eyes to see if they dilate the same) and he seems normal. I tried a cold pack on his head, but he wouldn't let me. His daddy wanted to put a warm wash rag dipped in salt water on it, but LO wouldn't tolerate that either. He has been very fussy. Granted, he was a bit extra fussy the day before the head bump too. I figure he must be teething, or his cold is bugging him, and the head bump has aggravated things.
So I guess my question is, any advice? For teething, goose eggs, etc.
Oh, and for bumps, hot or cold (ice pack or warm rag)?

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 4:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've always been told a bump is better, meant no internal bleeding.....my daughter has had quite a few, they all do when they become mobile.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Better than? A bruise?
    Reenieredhead

Comment by Reenieredhead (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• as long as he is playing and not acting tired, throwing up, or dizzy he should be fine... we never took my now 3 year old to the hospital for a bump or a goose egg and he has had some nice ones lol
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 5:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2011