What has the world come to?

Today a gun was pulled during a gang fight IN THE SCHOOL that I graduated from and my younger siblings STILL ATTEND! It happened right in the lobby! People were thrown off balconies! The other kids were put under lock down and were NOT ALLOWED to contact THEIR PARENTS! What kind of world do we live in where we have to be terrified to send our children to school? It's pathetic. And you know why they fought? Because some kids were Dominicans and some were Puertorican. How sad is that? That CHILDREN are fighting race battles. I'm saving now to put my kid in private school.

MamaStuart

Asked by MamaStuart at 4:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Just this morning a student was stab in the chest where we lived at. He was also on campus when it happened. Its just terrible. To much hate in the world.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• that is very scary and dumb what scares me most is my babys going to be half hispanic and half jamaican they are def going to treat my baby bad it makes me so mad that people act dumb and immature i come from a little town and it never has happened here but the way the world is now who says it wont???
    Bree_vee25

Answer by Bree_vee25 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Its things like that which helped me decide to move where we moved to. I used to live in bigger cities or even suburbs and things just started getting terrible in either place. My husband is from a very small podunk town in NC and the biggest news here is when someone runs into someones flower bed. I decided that was the way to go for us. Where we were before the kids were selling drugs, in gangs or being recruited to them by the 3rd grade. If we hadnt moved theyd all been home schooled.

Answer by gemgem at 5:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I don't think the problem is about race but more about puberty. These children are at an age where everything seems to get complicated.

MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 5:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I also, live in a small town in N.C. and there r drugs and fighting here,too. It's terrible the way things r going. I fear for my grandsons everyday that they go to school. I don't things can keep on going the way they are going.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 5:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• And weren't the uniforms supposed to "end the violence"? This stuff never happened when I went there and we could wear what we wanted! If anything it's gotten worse so I reject your "public school+uniforms=peace" logic school board.
    MamaStuart

Comment by MamaStuart (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Drugs have almost always been around. That wont change. How long have we been fighting the war on drugs? I still enjoy the small town atmosphere and my ability to be able to pick and choose who I hang out with and who I allow my kids to associate with. In a small town everyone knows what youre doing before you do it, so it makes it easy to know who is a decent person and who isnt lol. I just try and keep the kids away from those sorts who are known trouble makers and law breakers. In a bigger city, well everyone blends more easily. I have lived in both a city, suburb and now country like I said.
    We just have to parent. Thats what it comes down to. In fact, sometimes we have to reach out and parent other kids whose parents wont do their jobs.

Answer by gemgem at 5:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• OP...where do you live?! Because stuff like that has been happening in the inner city public schools that my mother taught in for 35 years from 1970-2005!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Forgot to add, I'm talking about Boston.
    LoriKeet

• One on the very reasons why I want to put my kids in private school...
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2011