Anyone have or has had a labrador puppy who can't stop biting or mouthing you and your stuff?

I have a 7 month old Chocolate Lab who will not stop "mouthing" my hands or whatever is near its mouth. It seems to be an open invitation to him when he's bored or excited or anytime. He is a sweet dog and this is meant as play but it gets real old. I've tried every trick or it may seem out there. What have you done to get your Lab from nipping or mouthing? P.S.: Toys, playing with him and bones are already in the program.

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Pets

• I don't have a lab but I do have a Golden. Both are notorious chewers. Our puppies mouthing hands, arms, feet, every thing in sight was getting to be a real problem. He rips through his toys like there's no tomorrow. Holding his muzzle firmly and saying no didn't help. It got him riled up. We eventually took the advice of a popular trainer in our area and bought a remote training collar. The collar does have two modes - one releases a slight electric pulse akin to those invisible fences some install. The other gives off beep. Our puppy is completely put off by the noise alone. It took one afternoon of "beeping" him while issuing commands to turn him around completely. He will still try to steal the odd sock, but he does "drop it" on command. He hasn't mouthed my hand in months. Stays off the counters. Leaves the couch alone. The collar told him he had no prayer at being Alpha. He's a totally different dog now!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• Yelp at him.

When he grabs you or mouths you, yelp like a puppy. It's what his sisters and brothers would do if he started to bug them.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Labs require a lot of play. Outside time helps. Have you tried rawhide bones? My lab can just about swallow bones. You just about have to be a 10 yo boy to keep up with their needs.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• i have a 9month old lab and pointer mix. She is doing the same thing shes is a very good dog but besides the bathroom accidents and the chewing shes good. I will bump this question though since i have the same problem
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 5:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Aww.. thanks for bringing back the memories of when Mocha was a puppy. We didn't have a lab, we had a pit bull. She chewed & mouthed on everything! She chewed up all my shoes, the remote control, and LITERALLY chew a hole through the mattress when I went into labor & she was home alone for about a day. (the hole was like 1 1/2ft wide, springs out & everything!) when we would catch her chewing on something or mouthing on our hands/arms/face/shoes/laces, we would immediately remove it from her mouth, hold it closed and firmly say NO! It took a while but it worked for her. Get a kong that you can stuff with a treat inside to keep your pup occupied.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 5:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I have a lab mix that for the longest time I referred to him as "my exploratory waiting to happen" because Beau was contantly putting things in his mouth. He is a tall boy so it did not seem to matter how well I dog proofed my house. He has never been mouthy with people though. Labs are also big chewers especially if they get bored. But when I have had a mouthy dog I will say "ouch" when they put their mouth on me no matter how hard they bite down. I make it seem like it hurt regardless. I don't yell though. Typically a dog will back off and then come back but you should find that they are softer with their mouth. If you are consistant the dog will eventually learn not to put their mouth on you at all.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Great ideas here but unfortunately the yelping and the firm no don't work. I've done the ignoring him trick too and it seems like he's desperate for any attention. He gets lots of attention, believe me. It's almost like this dog is stuck on "play" mode all the time. I hope he grows out of it real soon.
    Philly247

Comment by Philly247 (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Don't givey our dog rawhide. They can swallow chunks of the stuff and choke.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2011

• My lab mix pup, who is now almost 11, and the other mixed breed pup that was with him managed to chew through two sofas and a love seat, most of the spindles on the porch railing, ate a permanent marker, a battery (fortunately non toxic type), and several pillows during the first few months of his life while we were at work. He's never chewed on hands ... in fact DH can 'catch' his tongue over and over without ever locating those big teeth.

While I wouldn't mind a lab puppy now, I highly don't recommend them for anyone who works or can't exercise/play with them enough to keep them too busy to chew on things lol. I wouldn't trade mine for the world ... he is my baby, but wow his first 6 months were expensive. These were strays btw that showed up on New Years eve, filthy and terrified, just about 8 weeks old. If I'd known about clicker training than I may have tried it. Lots of info on Google and YouTube. Hang in there!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2011

• That's what teething puppies do. Tell him no & stick a toy in his mouth. Be consistant.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2011