Crappy Ultrasound Machine??

Do you think the quality of the Ultrasound machine can effect the gender prediction? I had mine today, and forgot how bad the Ultrasound Tech's machine is. I had an early ultrasound with a free clinic (theirs is awsome), so I can tell if one machine is distinctly better.

I feel like I should go back in 4 wks again, to verify the gender (they said girl)..... do you think the quality of the machine makes a difference?

charisma10

Asked by charisma10 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Absolutely! The one I'd used for all of my ultrasound appointments was great, but at one check-up they needed to SEE baby's heartbeat, so they hooked me up to a crappy old one. I told the nurse to be careful , as we didn't want to know the sex, and she said, "Don't worry, we couldn't find it with this piece of crap!"
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• If the tech is used to reading that machine, they get used to what the parts look like. I would trust the tech's prediction, but you can go back to have it checked again if you're really unsure.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• i dont know maybe but they are trained to use them so i would think they know and of course even with a good machine there is always a chance they are wrong. i guess if you have the money to pay for yet another u/s then go for it. me myself wouldnt have another one done for the simple fact my insurence wouldnt pay for it and im not forking over 300 dollers just becuz they might be wrong.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• i didn't think about the insurance... i was on medicaid last time, so i wasn't paying for prenatal and U/S. I'll have to find out. Also, the screen they have is seriously the size of a small lunch box
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• There's a tech school in my area that offers classes for ultrasound techs. They do free sonograms in order to help teach the students. That might be something you'd want to look into. Not only would it ease your mind (if there is one near you), but it would help give them some more real-world experience. :)
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2008