How did you learn to decorate your home?

Is this some kind of learned skill, or is it just natural for some people? Because I don't seem to have it. lol

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 5:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• When I see a room in a magazine that I just love, I study it. What is it about it that I love so much? The color? The window treatments? The floor? The accessories? etc. You can always tear the page out and after a few 'zines, you start to recognize if there is a pattern or unifying theme to what you like. I also like most of the decorating shows and occasionally get inspiration from there. HGTV and DIYNetwork both have websites, so you can always go there. Keep trying, and don't be afraid to experiment. If something looks like crap how you arranged it, it will probably look great in another room with other things. Just try...and have fun!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Watching shows on tv about it, reading books from the library.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 5:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I love to decorate. I get my ideas from magazines, tv shows, internet. I love country style, shabby chic, Ralph Lauren, and cottage styles. I think you have to find what you like and then go from there.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I just look at the Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel catalogs and when I see a room I like I just sort of copy it :)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I was raised around people who always decorated their houses and had decorators. I learned by watching them and asking questions. As a teen I also worked in a flower shop and one lady was a interior decorator and she taught me some about it.

Answer by gemgem at 5:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I just went with what ever I felt was right..I'd look at a item & look around the house & wait for the spot to jump out at me!!
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• internet
    jazz03

Answer by jazz03 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2011