My 3 year old and teeth Grinding. Help!

My daughter has been grinding her teeth in her sleep since she was one year old and she now is three. I was told she would just grow out of it but so far...nothing! It sounds like she is literally breaking her little teeth. Did your kids go through this? Is there anything I can do to make it stop?

hgibsonorc

Asked by hgibsonorc at 2:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter does this too, nothing really you can do at this age because pretty doubtful a 3 year old will sleep with a mouthguard lol.
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My son does this too. His daddy does and maybe it is hereditary. Not sure what to do either. Maybe ask the dentist on next visit.
    carolyn316

Answer by carolyn316 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• my daughter is 3 and started grinding her teeth about age 1 also. I talked to the dentist about it and he said it really isn't a problem until their permanant teeth come in. She does hers really hard too, I don't even see how she does it. I can't! A mouthguard is the only thing I know, but it would be hard to get a 3 yr old to sleep in one. Does ur daughter do it while she's awake any? Mine does sometimes when brushing her teeth, and I tell her she doesn't need to do that she'll hurt her teeth. I don't know how to break it while she's asleep though.
    beward79

Answer by beward79 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Heather,
    I do this and have since I was younger. I think it is something you cant stop because you do it in in your sleep when you dont even know what is going on. I have to go into the dentist this month and get a nightguard. You might need to ask the dentist next time you go. They may have some good advice.
    Christiansmom17

Answer by Christiansmom17 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 21, 2008