Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do when ex refuses to change mailing address?

He's been moved out since September 2010, and he still won't change his mailing address. Some stuff that's important still comes to my house (a check, bill for cell phone, etc). It's really irritating. I've just been giving his mail to his mom when she comes to pick up my DS, but I think it's about time he changed his information. I don't have any communication with him (for safety reasons) and whenever he knows his check is going to be mailed out he starts trying to get in touch with me to get it. I don't like being responsible for his mail. What do I do?

P.S. I didn't know where to put this post.


Asked by myree85 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in Relationships

Level 23 (15,595 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • Tell his mother what you are planning and give him a few days to take care of it. THEN either return his mail to sender or contact the Post Office. That way he has no recourse on you.

    Answer by Kimimale at 6:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

  • I agree with the above ladies and would also add get a red pen and write across the top NATA (means not at this address) and itll be returned to the sender or the post office will try and locate him if he has any other address on file.

    Answer by gemgem at 6:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

  • If he won't change his address, I would mark his mail refused or return to sender and not give it to his mom. If she asks about it, you can let her know that. Or if you have any contact with him, let him know that you will be refusing his mail from now on.l

    Answer by Anna92464 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

  • Call the post office and have his mail blocked from you house.

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

  • all of these are fabulous answers....

    Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

  • Next time you talk to his mom (or him), tell them that you are sending his mail back to the Post Office and if he doesn't have a change of address on file, they will return it back to the sender.
    Leave a note or talk to your carrier and let them know that he does not live there anymore, and you don't want his mail.
    Just look at what mail you do get in his name.....anything that is first class, make sure to give that back. If it happens to say his name 'and/or current resident/ occupant' then the mail carrier won't bother taking that back.
    You can tape a note on the inside of your mailbox, that says who should get mail there, and just leave his name off, or say that his mail should be forwarded. If you do, make sure that you just have his name listed as 'not living there anymore'. Just so the carrier doesn't think that you all have moved.....KWIM?

    Answer by jucyfrut at 6:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

  • just dont give it to him anymore, lol sorry but when important stuff comes still to you and he ends up not paying hes in trouble. warn him that you wont take care of his mail any longer...

    Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

  • You fill out a COA card and send it in if he won't

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

  • goodluck mama i hope you get everything worked out for you

    Answer by Ricanmami1 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

  • She would have to sign his name on the COA card and that would be fraud. I agree tell his mom to tell him he has a week to change it and you will marking it all return to sender and it will take even longer for him to get his checks.

    Answer by mbc324 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2011