Immigration process to bring a child to the US?

I just applied for my step son to be brought to the US from El Salvador. Has anybody gone through this process? How long did it take?

hgibsonorc

Asked by hgibsonorc at 2:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I know a family that adopted 3 kids from somewhere and it only took about 2 weeks. I don't know if it would be the same for you. Are you adopting him?
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I'm not technically adopting him...I'm applying for him as his step mother; 2 weeks would be great, but I know that it already took a month for them to send me a letter saying that they recieved my application! Since the INS is so backed up with Immigration from Latin America, I'm just hoping that it won't take more than a year!
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 3:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I hope you are able to do it as quickly as possible and good for you that is very awesome. My prayers are with you.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Immigration lawyer can help You.
    Anonymous

• I dont know a darn thing about immagration but I will pary that this happens for your family soon. Good luck.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Is his mother allowing it? If she is then it shouldn't take long if they recognize the SM/SS relationship and if it hasn't been a really long time the child has seen his father. If the mother isn't allowing it then I have no clue.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It takes a while to bring your own children from another country. longer than if you adopt. it took my cousin almost 3 years and some said that she got lucky it happened so quickly. hope is better for you.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 5:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2008