Is it wrong to just have one child?

I have a 2year old son and everyone is always bugging me and my husband to have another one. People tell us all the time its not fair for our son if we dont have anymore. Is this true?? Am i doing my child wrong or spoiling them if i dont have another one??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• No.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 6:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I have one and am not having more.
    If its wrong,I don't wanna be right!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I have one child, she is 14.. She healthy, happy, confident, and has many people in her life who love her.. I never tried to have more children and I have never regretted my decision.. Having children is a huge decision, and NO ONE has the right to make the decision for you.. if you are happy with only one child, say so.. Tell others that you appreciate their opinions, but you would appreciate them even more if they waited until you asked for them..
    ObiRenKenobi

Answer by ObiRenKenobi at 6:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Well, as an only child I can tell you there are pros and cons. Pro: I had all the attention. I got to do a lot of fun things like girl scouts and piano lessons, we got to go on vacations and I almost every weekend had kids at my house. Con: I was always a little jealous of the sibling relationships my friends had (though they were jealous of me as well), I fear being the sole care giver to my parents, I was lonely a lot as a child and I am still a little jealous of the sibling relationships my friends have.

There is nothing right or wrong about having an only child or 16 kids. It's about what works for your family. If one works ofr you then that is what works for you. No ones choice but yours.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• No there is nothing wrong with having one child.

I have one child and hear all the time that he needs a sibling but people have yet to tell me what will happen to him if he does not get one, nor have they been able to tell me WHY they continously insist that we need more children.

Its the decision of the parents who will have to take care of and be responsible for the children they bring into this world to decide if they want one or more.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• That's an old Myth about only children and them being spoiled or not socially advanced as others who have siblings.. we have an only and he WILL be an only.. Its not selfish to anyone if you have a happy healthy loved child..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• It is really nice to have a sibling.

Answer by older at 6:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• I think what ObiRen and ButMommie said was perfect.

Ultimately - it's your and your husbands choice...what works best for you guys.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• Of course not! You do what is right for you and your family. Do not worry about what others think. If you feel that one is all you want then everyone else needs to mind their own business. There are plenty of onlys that grow up happy and feeling loved. Only children are not automatically spoiled either. You just do what you feel is right.
    cowboysgirl3227

Answer by cowboysgirl3227 at 6:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2011

• My hubby and I are only having one. When people tell me that we should have more I'll ask them if they're paying for everything or I'll say when you have your next one, then I'll have another. They don't say anything after.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2011