How do I get my 2 1/2 year old to take a nap?

my daughter stopped taking naps when she was about 18 months old. She went to bed at 8 p.m. and woke up at 9 a.m. and did fine on this until now. She's been really cranky during the day and I think she needs a nap but she is very resistant to the idea. any suggestions?

EricaG

Asked by EricaG at 2:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Right after lunch, I tell my little one to get a baby and a book and that's her cue that it's nap time. We lay in her bed and read the book she chose and I sing her a little song, give her a kiss and tell her to have a good nap. This routine works quite well and there is little or no resistance.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 2:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• if she is still sleeping 8-9 you may want to try waking her up earlier. My guy sleeps 8:30 -7. He has been having problems taking naps too! But if he is not up by 7 then it is a sure thing that he will not take one.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 3:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• she may just need a rest/quiet time with books rather than a full nap .
    Anonymous

• My son is doing this two days on, two days off thing for naps - luckily for me, the two days off of naps have been with his dad, ha ha.
    On the occasion that he doesn't nap here, I have found that setting him up in his play room with toys and books and leaving him to have independent play is exactly what he needed and wanted. After almost an hour and a half of independent play I asked him to come have some milk and a snack but he would gone on playing by himself for a while too. My mother-in-law said that my husband used to do that when he was 2 - just stopped taking naps but would watch a movie or play quietly by himself for a while and then be rejuvenated.
    Just remember that some kids get cranky for different reasons - she may be hungry and not telling you or wants to be left alone and doesn't know it. Good luck!
    SlumberTasha

Answer by SlumberTasha at 4:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2008